Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Events  >  curborough sprint meeting 8th june 2013
0 Members Browsing (5 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1, 2 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    curborough sprint meeting 8th june 2013  (currently 939 views)
Grant Wilson
Posted on: June 9th, 2013, 20:44:53 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

LeMans -- 2016

Hi ,

this was a good event and I would recommend it if clubmarcos invite us again.

it was good to meet up and put faces to the names....( Chris Clarke, Martin Loram, Guy Humphries, Richard porter, the lad in the burgundy one and the 'slark car)

the cars were great to see.

my own car was doing okay until a trip to the grass completed our day.....has anyone any pics or videos ???

will post some pics later

cheers

grant.

Last modified June 9th, 2013, 20:48:17 by Grant Wilson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Martin_Loram
Posted on: June 10th, 2013, 06:48:42 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Grant it was a great weekend and as you said good to put names to faces,we where all gutted for you and chris but I really think chris was a passenger after the shock broke and therefore nothing he could do I was only glad that he got out in one piece as was everyone if there is any help I can give just ring perhaps we could all muck in and get the car fixed ?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 20
Grant Wilson
Posted on: June 10th, 2013, 16:36:48 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

LeMans -- 2016

thanks Martin,

having now been under the car the coil over is broken in exactly the place your pal ( paul I think) said it would be. Once I have completed the examination I will phone Huddersfield Spares regarding their beam axle and shocks.

thanks again for the advice

( do you have web link for your roll cage )

cheers

Grant
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 20
Brian
Posted on: June 10th, 2013, 20:30:18 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Would love to see some pictures/video. I'm going to need a lot of inspiration to keep progress going when I get my shell in about a month.

And it sounds like there was a crash? I'm glad that it seems like the driver was unscathed; how'd the car fare?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 20
Grant Wilson
Posted on: June 10th, 2013, 20:53:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

LeMans -- 2016

hi Brian,
It was my car.
still working out what happened.

the damage consists of various dings, dents, cracks etc to bodywork and some suspension damage. we lost the windscreen and the windscreen pillars. Everything is repairable ...it will just take a while....and a new coat of paint
(windscreen and painting courtesy of some guy called Chris Clarke)

Can I suggest in the strongest terms that you consider a rollcage. Although my car was remarkably strong it will never do another mile until one is fitted.

grant.
I will post some pictures later on

Last modified June 10th, 2013, 20:53:58 by Grant Wilson
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 20
Brian
Posted on: June 11th, 2013, 01:28:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Lost windscreen and pillar? So the car rolled? Must have been one heck of a ride!

As for a cage, that's already in the plans! My current track car has full cage, one piece fixed seat, kill switch reachable by the driver, fire extinguisher, and the drivers all have full face helmet, fire suit, gloves, boots, etc, and a HANS device. The Marcos will not be a dedicated track car, but I still plan to do partial prep on it.

I am also thinking to get a few raspberry pi (cheap cellphone based computers, around 15) units with cameras placed around the car for driving footage. And a number of friends are using these gopro cameras to get footage of stuff like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 20
Grant Wilson
Posted on: June 11th, 2013, 12:08:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

LeMans -- 2016

Hi. marcos heritage selling rollcage at 950 plus vat.
Anyone got pics or knowledge of them.
Grant
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 20
Brian
Posted on: June 11th, 2013, 15:55:03 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I was told by members here that the heritage cage is made by "caged". Heritage had surprisingly few details about it, and no pictures. Caged never replied to me when I emailed for details.

Rollcentre also makes a cage. I believe they have the blueprints for the early style (pre mk4). When I contacted them it sounded like they could custom build one for any car.

The 900+ for the heritage cage sounds pricey to me, since you also need it installed still, too. In the 1000-2000 range, here in the states, you are in the range of a custom built weld-in cage.

Last modified June 11th, 2013, 15:55:53 by Brian
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 20
Peter Bremner
Posted on: June 11th, 2013, 19:44:59 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hello, sorry to bore everyone, this is a Caged rollcage. When I collected the car it was in-situ, it took me ages to get the damn thing out, scratched the paint to buggery!. Trick was to pull the rear legs together with a ratchet strap....

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 20
Grant Wilson
Posted on: June 11th, 2013, 21:00:57 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

LeMans -- 2016

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the picture.
The cage seems to tick the boxes with the side impact bars and the front bar.

1140 plus delivery does seem to be a lot of cash for a bolt in frame and there are a few features I would add.

I would like a removable door bar, and a bar to hold my harnesses.

think I will try and find someone local ( anyone any suggestions)  to build me one from scratch. Will just have to get it examined for approval if I decide to enter any sprints or hillclimbs.

one last question...why did you remove it ?

cheers

grant.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 20
Peter Bremner
Posted on: June 11th, 2013, 22:37:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hello, I had the cage made before I had finished the bodywork so it had to come to sort out the shell.
The door bars are removable, they unbolt.
I attached the harnesses to the rear cross tube. I tried re-threading the harness around the cross tube but didn't find it that elegant, so in the end I welded on some plates to take the eye bolts. I bought extra clamping plates from Caged, cut them in half and welded them on.
I also welded the steering column supports to the front cross member.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 20
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 12th, 2013, 02:00:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Grant,
sorry to hear that the MM has been damaged. You can build your own cage much cheaper than having somebody like rollcentre do it for you. They would also require the car to be with them on site for a month or so.

I wrote an article ages ago in the club mag on my cars resto (a MkIV) which explained about the cage but basically I bought the correct grade (FIA spec) steel CDS2 (cold drawn seemless) from a local steel stockist. I then bent a template for the main hoop and door sections from plumbers copper pipe and once happy then asked a local fabricator to bend my CDS2 to the patterns. Buy some brackets at about 7 pair from rollcentre and then take all the bits and tack them together in the car - they only need a blob of weld to hold them together. take it all out of the car and get a coded welder to final weld all the joints. BEWARE - the cage will distort very slightly once fully welded so leave a few mm's extra when tacking up.

Once back from welding, paint and fit to the car. My cage from memory came in about 700 all up though I had a welder friend do the final welding for a few litres of cider which saved a few quid. he did drink the cider after doing the job not before so it all came out ok.

If you do a search for 'rollcage' on the forum there is a thread about a tank which actually has pictures of Jim Naylors cage and one of the front section of mine. I also used the rear brace between the rear stays to mount my harnesses to. I'll try to attach a picture of this - not sure about size so it might get blocked?. - file too big and I'm not a whizz with the computer to resize them. If you want me to send pictures of what I have then I can mail them to you off the forum if you like - just let me know here.

Phil.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 20
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 12th, 2013, 02:22:50
Attachment: front_cage_in_mm.jpg - 148.81 KB (661 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Grant,
        hopefully a picture should appear with this?!?!....

Will post a couple of others if it works out.

Phil

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 20
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 12th, 2013, 02:25:57
Attachment: mm_cage_rear_belt_bar.jpg - 100.48 KB (661 views)
Medium Member

rear harness attachments. Not sure if this method meets FIA regs for sprinting- seem to recall that bar must be wrapped with belts rathe than drilled and eyelets fitted. I got collard harness eyebolts and then has the welder fix them.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 20
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 12th, 2013, 02:34:07
Attachment: pict0185.jpg - 131.44 KB (658 views)
Medium Member

overall view of cage in car from about 2005. Rear belt eyes and side bars visible. I went for a straight door bar as it was cheaper (i.e less bending to pay for ) and I figured that I wanted it to protect me/my legs at other 'normal' car bumper height as the car is primarily a road car with occasional sprinting in mind.

hope they of some assistance.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 20
Pages: 1, 2 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Events  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules