Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Events  >  Marcos runs at Geelong Revival - Downunder
0 Members Browsing (4 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2 : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Marcos runs at Geelong Revival - Downunder  (currently 2,115 views)
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: December 20th, 2015, 08:07:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

G'day Phil, nice to hear from you.
Moving from Cape York to Frankston will be a rather dramatic change - similar I suppose, to moving from Pommyland to Cape York ! You obviously enjoy change  

I'm located in Warragul which is a rural town about 100km east of Frankston. Rodger Howard is in Melbourne's outer northern suburbs, so you'll not be too far from moral support if you need it.

Placing your cars on the Victorian Club Permit Scheme shouldn't be too much of a problem. You'll need to join a Car Club which is authorised to access the scheme for its members, provide proof that your cars are at least 25 years old and obtain Roadworthy Certificates for them from an authorised workshop.

I hope your shipping plans go smoothly, and the cars arrive Downunder unblemished.

Steve (MM 7056) Downunder
http://www.mm7056.wordpress.com
Private Message Reply: 15 - 20
Rodger Howard
Posted on: December 20th, 2015, 19:05:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hello Phil
There are a lot of people from the Uk down Frankston way. A mate who came out recently and settled down there from Ireland explained that the Peninsula epitomizes the seaside ideal for him.
I have another English mate coming up from that area this morning to do some wiring for me.
The key to getting your cars in and registered here is to show proof of previous registration in the country of origin.
You need to get a permit for each vehicle from DOTARS prior to the shipping process commencing. It costs $50 per vehicle from memory and takes a month or so.
I imported a formula junior from Japan earlier in the year and although not registered it too had its own paper chase.
My mini Marcos came from Japan as well and because it had been registered in Japan the process of roadworthy etc was easy as it was a vehicle prior to 1971 when a slew of new requirements were placed upon vehicles. They are not onerous if your mk4 is after this date but you will need to attend to them whereas Steve and I didn't.
Regards Rodger
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 20
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: December 21st, 2015, 01:14:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Thanks Steve/Rodger,
                               good to know a bit more about getting the cars into Oz. I have owned the MM for 23 years and had the car on the road in the UK previously in my name so that bit should be fine. I was told by a guy that works for me who has bodged a club permit (He has a turbo'd Toyota powered classic mini) that no rollcages and harnesses are allowed and mods are restricted. My car has all of these so do you think there will be issues with the mod's?. The car retains an A-series which is modified for hillclimb/sprint and has a detachable front end/relocated fuel tank and modified brakes etc are these all permitted on a club permit 'H' plate?.
I want to use it for some competition if time/money allows but also have it road registered in Australia.
Any plans to run the Junior at the classic at Phillip Island Rodger?. I've only been once a few years ago but now it is on my doorstep I hope to get along with my little boy to watch the racing in March next year.
I might come back with more questions for you both when I get a bit more into the paperwork to bring the cars out.
Cheers
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 20
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: December 21st, 2015, 05:19:48 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Earlier in this thread there are a couple of photos of my MM wearing its red and white Club Permit plates - you've also probably noticed it has a half cage and 6-point racing harnesses. These were inspected and allowed through when the car was inspected for roadworthiness. There are some crazy rules in the regulations that are overlooked by inspectors with commonsense. One of these is the seatbelt issue. The rules state that the belts must comply to an Australian safety standard which all original equipment belts do.  Most race harnesses do not, their standard is an FIA or other international standard which exceeds the Australian Standard but isn't recognised by the local authorities as such.
Roll cages are another contentious issue, half cages in a 2-seater like a Marcos are OK, so long as they are padded where any body contact is likely. It becomes more of a concern if you have a full cage with fixed intrusion bars. There are specific allowable designs, but any bar that is higher than your hip (such as in a MM, is unlikely to be legal - it's all to do with access to the occupants by emergency crews in the case of accident. If you can make the intrusion bar removable, you'll have a better chance of it being accepted.
The Club Permit Scheme does allow for minor period modifications. You can run a Weber DCOE with an airbox cut into the firewall on Mini for example, or fit Cooper S discs to a Mini 850. You can't however, get away with a turbo'd Toyota engine in a Mini - and I think that is a good thing. The Mini Marcos is an interesting case though, because it was a kit car there are no standard specifications. If it was built with a different fuel tank, rear disc brakes or a flip-front and registered with these, then that becomes the standard specification for that particular car, and the club that I'm involved in would have no qualms in accepting it for a Club Permit Registration, so long as it had a Roadworthy Certificate. There are currently only 2 Mini Marcoses (and one damaged shell) in Victoria and they are all early models, so you're unlikely to questioned too closely about your car's authenticity.

Steve (MM 7056) Downunder
http://www.mm7056.wordpress.com

Last modified December 21st, 2015, 05:24:20 by Steve_Schmidt
Private Message Reply: 18 - 20
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: December 21st, 2015, 06:40:09 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Steve. I did wonder about your cage and how it was accepted not realising it was half cage. My cage is a full cage with front/rear bolted and bolt in door bars all built to FIA spec as I was going to race it in the UK which meant either not fitting one which is ok for sprints or building it to the required specs and I thought I'd be better with more protection than less as much with road use in mind and any side impact. I had many people pull across the front of me in UK when double lanes as they couldn't see the car coming along side the row of traffic. I used to use it mid nineties every day for work as a 17 year old apprentice before it was rebuilt to current spec over many years.
I think from your brief it sounds like the car should be accepted ok with just a question over the full cage. It the worst happened and it was declared illegal I could always unbolt the front section and door bars,
Thanks very much and hope to catch up one day. 100km would be a good trip for the MM once it is here and roadworthy.
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 20
Rodger Howard
Posted on: December 21st, 2015, 09:19:43 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Phil
Just be aware that the club permit scheme in Victoria is in the public eye and being wound back because people are exploiting it.
I won't have the junior at Philip Island but it will run at barbagello in October and sandown and eastern creek in November as part of the World Series.
My Marcos should be on the mornington peninsula for the Australia Day weekend along with two ex works mini's for the one and only time. Subject to  yet  another delay 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 20
Pages: « 1, 2 : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Events  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules