Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  MK4 Marcos - Ev Conversion
0 Members Browsing (22 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    MK4 Marcos - Ev Conversion  (currently 3,374 views)
Garry Scott
Posted on: August 29th, 2020, 21:23:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hi All,

Ive had my Mk4 marcos for many years and finally getting round to starting the renovation of it. This will be a bit different to my normal builds as I am converting it to electric.

Ive already started a build thread at the link below on DIY electriccars and have setup Electric Classic Minis to showcase mine and other builds.

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/mini-marcos-ev-conversion.201729/

I will be improving the chassis a bit and adding a bit of aero, as im a composites engineer i will be making some carbon replacements and also will be looking to make a full rollcage with mounting points for the battery box.

Logged Offline
  Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: August 30th, 2020, 08:53:44 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Best of luck with the build , I'll be following with interest .

Check out this link to Jeroen's site with some info on an Irish conversion in the late 60's.

http://maximummini.blogspot.com/2020/04/what-happened-to-electric-mini-marcos.html

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
mike brown
Posted on: August 30th, 2020, 09:02:17 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Interesting project, I've thought about this myself. The electrical and engineering side is no major problem however me and electronics/computers don't get on very well. Keep the updates coming it'll be interesting to follow.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
Simon Robinson
Posted on: August 30th, 2020, 21:20:42 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Something I'd love to try too...except I don't have the expertise, the time or the money!

D&H Mk IV 8313, KGV 215V (aka George) - 75,000 miles and counting since restoration in 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Garry Scott
Posted on: February 27th, 2021, 22:03:43 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hi All

Havent been able to get onto the forum for ages, login issues etc.
Not much progress has been made on the conversion apart from mounting the motor properly into the front subframe and gathering a few items.
I may convert my mini scamp first to get all the testing and road development done first then either transfer into the marcos or do another conversion.

I have an instagram account electricclassicminis showcasing my project and all the other minis being converted across the globe.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 6th, 2021, 17:05:27 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Garry, this looks to be a really interesting project.  Where do you propose to place the batteries - where the fuel tank is currently, across the rear of the ca?
There a video on youtube by Jonny Smith, where he tests a classic mini that has been converted to electric by a commercial company, but I think if there's a solution that can be used/adapted more widely then there could be a future for kitcars in general, not just our MM's.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Garry Scott
Posted on: April 28th, 2021, 20:22:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hi Graham
Sorry for the late response, i dont get onto the forum near as much as I should do!

Initially it looks as though i willconvert my miniscamp as its currently road legal and will make a good mule for testing all the parts out.
There is actually another marcos owner doing the same conversion as me, im not sure if hes on here but im presuming so. Hes much more advanced than I am as he has his conversion running, although its installed into a standard mini saloon  for now.

There is definitely an opportunity for a reasonable cost conversion, the swind-e mini conversion costs around 37k all in and there are options for arounf 20k (euro) from ian-motion and electricmini.nl

Im hoping I cando my conversion  for around 5k or so, but i have put a lot of time into the design and fabrication work, I will if the conversion works out be selling brackets and possibly modified subframes which will allow people to buy all the other bits and fit them.

For battery location, it will be mainly in the engine bay, and possibly where the fuel tank is, or perhaps inside where the spare wheel would go?

I need to get the marcos out of the unit and give it a good lookover, but Im struggling for time at the mo

Will try and get some more photos up soon and show you where i am with it.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules