Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (55 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 11,473 views)
Pete Crudgington
Posted on: August 17th, 2017, 07:53:47 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Graham

Glad that I could help and that its now sorted.

Keep working down the list, looks like you are on the home straight now!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Pete
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 450 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 20th, 2017, 19:04:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I've enjoyed quite a productive day today - first job was to swap the throttle body over witht he one from the mini.
The mini was fitted with a 52mm Burlen aluminium TB.  Standard fit is a plastic 48mm unit, which can distort and split.  When i fitted the BV head to the mini and had it on the rolling road the extra diameter made no difference to the available power.  I'm hoping the extra 12cc of the Marcos will make all the difference  .

I also refitted the K&N to the mini so I could put the air filter box onto the MM:

Unfortunately this doesn't fit under the bonnet either:

So I'll have to look for another filter/solution.  This is a shame as the box cuts out quite a bit of induction roar (which is why I'd put it back on the mini - my daily commute is ~55 miles each way).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 451 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 20th, 2017, 19:09:23 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

After this I moved on to the interior.  Unfortunately I don't have access to old MFO cardboard boxes anymore, so had to work with the cardboard I had cut and stuck together to make a template for the rear side panels:

I had thought I'd use 'trim board' for these panels, but looking at the piece of automotive carpet I had left over decided to see how this would work.  It's rubber backed and has an amount of built in rigidity:

As it is, it worked quite well:

Last modified August 20th, 2017, 19:20:09 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 452 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 20th, 2017, 19:16:33 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Amazingly the template only needed a little bit of modifying to fit the passenger side (I'm used now to this car not being 'square' side to side):

This left me with a rather strange shaped carpet left over:

There's a few gaps in the carpet coverage so I might see if I can do something with this to address this.  This rather large piece of carpet only cost me £9 from ebay!
Oh - and I got the front panel fitted on Friday night:

I'm not exactly happy with the fit, despite measuring this many times.  But looking at photos in the gallery this isn't unusual (even the Heritage brochure car has an element of this panel protruding), and the more I look at it the more I get used to it.
So only the wheel arches to address now on the interior (you might see in the photos I've covered the companion bins in foam/suede) and to secure the carpet side panels in place (I'm going to try double sided velcro).
ETA - even without a throttle cable (I sent this away on Monday to be modified) the idle's strong enough to reverse the car up my slightly inclined drive.  Broom broom... no more hiffing and puffing for me!

Last modified August 20th, 2017, 19:21:25 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 453 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 24th, 2017, 17:31:28 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I've got this week off work so have managed to get on with the car again.  I put the car in the garage to have the lights set and the tracking adjusted.  Another opportunity for photos:

I'm slowly running out of things I can do.  I've put the interior together:

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 454 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 24th, 2017, 17:40:57 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Andy/Roger is going to send the windscreen and window rubbers over shortly and I'll look to get these items fitted.
While the car was in the garage I received the throttle cable.  This gave the opportunity to try it out above idle - I obviously need to get it on the road to test it properly, but in the confines of the drive way it feels nippy.  It also showed the speedo wasn't working - looking more closely at this, the drive wasn't correctly clipped in.  I haven't as yet been able to get this to engage.
I also took the opportunity to download the latest IVA information.  I'm going to have to get the daylight running lights rewired (to turn off when the headlights are turned on - strange, as 'production' cars don't do this!), and I think I need to try and rig something on to the lower dash rail to give a radius to this.
And I think I'll need to budget around another £1000 to get the car on the road (IVA test and retest, Registration, MoT, Road Tax etc.)
I'll have plenty of time to check the car over from front to back while I save up for this then  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 455 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 27th, 2017, 12:06:22 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Well I hope everyone's enjoying a dry Bank Holiday weekend!  I've taken the opportunity to look more closely at the speedo problem.
With the car on the ramps I was able to undo the gearbox end of the cable and confirm the inner is in one piece and when twisted turns at both ends.  Connecting this correctly to the speedo head end and twisting the gearbox end inner gets the needle flickering, suggesting the gauge is working.
But putting the gearbox end back together and running the car forward there's nothing happening.
I suspect the inner square drive needs to be a bit longer (another job for Speedy cables?) or possibly the bevel drive in the gearbox housing isn't working.
Is there a way to test the bevel gears in the g/box with the engine/subframe in situ?
I remember putting the 2.7FD bevel gears in this when I rebuilt the box - perhaps I haven't put them together correctly.  I also seem to remember thinking if these ever broke there'd be no way of repairing this without taking the engine out - is that right?  
(Two steps forward...)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 456 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 27th, 2017, 16:35:57 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

So, investigations show:
Cable inner appears intact (turning manually at g/box end rotates gauge end).
Fully fitting onto the gauge and manually turning cable inner moves gauge needle.
Refitting the cable to the g/box and the inner doesn't appear to be turning (finger over end of cable inner while moving forward).  The cable appears to have 'disengaged' from the gauge end slightly too.

Looking at my mini, the MPi appears to have a two piece speedo cable (I  recall this from rebuilding the mini engine also):

This two piece speedo cable assembly doesn't appear in my Mini Spares parts catalogue (which does show many single piece speedo cable, up to 68" in length).

So I'm wondering if the 2.7 FD bevel wheel gear is somehow different (don't recall any obvious differences when working on the gearbox) and when securing the gearbox end it pulls the cable off the back of the clock.  But that wouldn't explain why I can't feel the cable turning at the speedo end, unless the inner is to short at both ends?

Hmm...  I'll pull out the spare g/box I've got and look to strip down the speedo drive to refresh my memory on how this looks/works.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 457 - 517
Neil KilBane
Posted on: August 28th, 2017, 08:22:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

If you are on FB, try messaging John Guess from Guessworks, he's very helpful in giving advice about anything A-Series gearbox related.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 458 - 517
Craig Smith
Posted on: September 13th, 2017, 14:34:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Graham Bichard, posted July 4th, 2017, 18:25:01 at here
Olly, my car is chassis no. 3, constructed 2006 so is more than 10 years old (just!).
But I thought all unregistered kits would need to pass the current test regime.
Do you have details of this possible loop-hole?

Hi Graham,

Here is what I believe Olly was referring to.  

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/exemptions-from-vehicle-approval

From that link:

You don't need vehicle approval for:

cars and minibuses with 8 passenger seats or less (not including the driver) over 10 years old

Last modified September 13th, 2017, 14:57:42 by Craig Smith
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 459 - 517
Richard Porter
Posted on: September 22nd, 2017, 18:59:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

You can't have Windows without pains.

I suspect that the exemption applies to vehicles that have been on the road in the past and need approval for some other reason. Your car would probably be regarded as new even though you bought the parts over ten years ago. But good luck if you try it!
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 460 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: September 30th, 2017, 12:39:47 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Sorry for the delay in replying - been away with work.
Before going away I played around with measuring the speedo cable.  I suspect the relationship between the speedo head and the bulkhead, and the bulkhead and the subframe position isn't the same as the mini.  I think the subframe/bulkhead relationship is the same  but the bulkhead to interior might be a little different.  This would explain why the throttle and the speedo cable have both required a longer inner wire.
I've fitted the speedo back onto the gearbox and now need to see if my theory/measurements are correct and fit the other end to the speedo head (but its raining).  I'll let you know if it works.

I agree - I'm sure I need an IVA Richard.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 461 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: September 30th, 2017, 14:08:13 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Recorded my first 0.05 miles, and the speedo appears to work (up to 10mph anyway).
Another job crossed off the list.

Last modified September 30th, 2017, 14:08:55 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 462 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: November 19th, 2017, 10:57:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Well, while money is saved for the next expensive bit I've tried to continue moving forward with the cheap (free!) bits.
Delving through the shed I managed to engineer a lower dash rail 'pad' (hopefully it can be seen in the next photo).  But I also dug out some thin plywood to start making a centre console:

While not screwed together yet, it hopefully gives an idea of what it'll look like:

It does make the pedal box tight for the clutch (once it's screwed together I'll see if I can make it a bit less deep on the sides).  I'm looking to cover this in the suede but I'll need to buy some more (so no rush then).
Does anyone else have one of these in their car?

Last modified November 19th, 2017, 10:58:14 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 463 - 517
John_Campbell
Posted on: November 20th, 2017, 09:33:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Graham, I found the lack of storage similar on my Jem and made a little inverted 'U' shaped box with hinged lid to fit over the central tunnel behind the handbrake lever. It was great for storage and arm rest and I didn't fasten it in so it allowed it to be moved back or removed easily. I also made a couple of trays for the 'boot' to stop stuff rattling around. Car looks great.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 464 - 517
Pages: « ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules