Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  History on DH8102?
0 Members Browsing (60 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    History on DH8102?  (currently 857 views)
MPlayle
Posted on: September 7th, 2020, 16:57:09 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I am the current owner of DH8102 - registered in Texas as a 1974 Mini Marcos.

Although I have it for sale (current listing site is down for some reason), I would like to find out as much history on it as possible.

I have some history from about June 2006 to present.  If anyone can assist in filling in any of the car's history prior to 2006, that would be greatly appreciated.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Richard Porter
Posted on: September 18th, 2020, 21:37:17 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

You can't have Windows without pains.

I haven't got any 'previous' on 8102. It wasn't known to the club in around 2000, or at least the chassis number wasn't.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
MPlayle
Posted on: September 18th, 2020, 21:48:24 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

If you have anything from 2000 to 2006, that would be appreciated as a start to determining the rest of the car's past history.

As noted, the documentation I received with the car cover 2006 to present but nothing prior to June 2006.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
admin
Posted on: September 18th, 2020, 22:13:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

The only cars I know about are on the Mini Marcos and/or Sport Scene galleries. I may have other photos of cars which are there, but if it's not there I have no information. I was membership secretary leading up to 2000 after which I handed over to Roger and Melanie so I don't have later details apart from updates from Roger and people joining via the web site or contacting me directly.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
MPlayle
Posted on: September 18th, 2020, 22:21:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I know the prior owner I bought the car from was in the club.

It is sounding like DH8102 is one of those cars that "fell through the cracks" when it comes to tracing its history and was "whereabouts unknown" for a very long time.

I had been hoping to get sufficient history to help a prospective new owner try for an age waiver for some vintage track days.  The group he wants to participate with currently has a 1972 or older regulation.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
admin
Posted on: September 19th, 2020, 21:10:51 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

I have old versions of the page but only going back to 2006. I understand that the car was owned by Tom Springer and then Dave Munsey. I also have some photos from Wirewheel Classic Sportscars Inc in Vero Beach, FL. some of which were previously used on the gallery. The files were stamped June 2006.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
MPlayle
Posted on: September 19th, 2020, 21:19:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Thank you for checking your old versions.  That matches the history I already have.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
mike brown
Posted on: October 5th, 2020, 16:23:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I think this is your car but you have probably already seen this.
http://maximummini.blogspot.com/2019/04/another-mini-marcos-for-sale-now-in-usa.html?m=1
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
MPlayle
Posted on: October 6th, 2020, 13:28:56 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Yes, that is my car.  That listing was posted for me by the firm that was formerly assisting in the sale.  The firm assisting in the sale has apparently had issues and appears closed now.  The car will be getting listed on the Bring-A-Trailer auction site in the near future.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
MPlayle
Posted on: October 18th, 2020, 14:49:46 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I received some further information on the history of DH8102 from a previous owner (Thanks go to Tom Springer).  I am quoting his email below so the information does not get lost again.  The car should go up for auction on bringatrailer.com in the next week or two.

Quote from Tom:
The car was built in 1974 by Doug Scribner of Mini City LTD in New York.  He told me that he would wait for big vendors to have sales, then stock up, put the items in a container, wait until it was full, then have it sent across the Atlantic.  At a major sales event (maybe the London Motor Show) he was discussing his parts dilemma and the wait times incurred with Jem Marsh.  Jem suggested he needed to buy bigger items to fill the containers more quickly!  Doug became the North American representative of Marcos cars...whatever iteration it was at that time.  Doug brought over six shells, hoping to capitalize on the dune buggy craze.  He found a limited audience.  He decided to produce complete cars instead.  8102 was built up with all new parts and sold to a gent in New York.  At some point it was involved in a rear end collision.  It sat in a barn for some time, then crude repair work was done on the rear end.  That's one reason the fuel tank filler area isn't recessed.  It ended up in Pittsburgh, it was then traded in on a Lotus Europa at Wire Wheel...I think you know the rest.  
I think there is a pic of the car being assembled in the paperwork you have.  I'm almost certain there was a running history of the car as well, but likely gone now, otherwise you wouldn't be asking!
Probably not the date you were hoping for, but I hope this helps.
Tom Springer
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
MPlayle
Posted on: October 21st, 2020, 02:55:34 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

The car is now on "live" auction on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-marcos-mini-marcos/

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to: