Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (46 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 41,289 views)
Neil KilBane
Posted on: October 15th, 2021, 15:15:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Original screws are 8/32" x 1/2"UNC. I'm afraid I can't remember if I retapped them to metric though.

I used Dirko Sealant.

Screw - Washer - sealant - O-ring - sealant - Sender Unit - sealant - gasket - sealant - tank.

The Hex Head just allows you to use an allen key rather than a screwdriver , an angle grinder can shorten it easily idf needs be.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 540 - 545
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 17th, 2021, 09:04:54 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Thanks Neil.
Washers and screws now received, sealant ordered (Hylomar Hylotyte though) so I'll look to have a crack at this next weekend.
I need to update my 'to do' board in the garage:
- Lambda,
- Radiator/fan,
- Throttle cable
- Speedo cable
I'm sure there's something else I've forgotten (this is why I write things down!)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 541 - 545
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 24th, 2021, 15:14:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Well - that was a palaver!
This is the stuff I've used:

I cleaned off the RTV sealant used prior to the rolling road session as best I could before putting a skim of this stuff around the edges.  I replaced the cross head screws (one at a time) with the hex head screws and the washers bought from Minispares and sourced some tiny o-rings from a local motor factor.  But trying to get the screws back in to the holes when all they wantewd to do was stick to my nitrile gloves was interesting.
Given the space above/around the rear subframe and the spare wheel well, I could fit a socket in place with a screwdriver attachment but couldn't hold the screwdriver as you normally would, in the palm of your hand and had to try and tighten the screws up using my finger tips on the screwdriver (if that makes sense).  So with that lack of feeling I hope a) I've done these up tight enough and b) perversely, haven't done them up so tight that I've stretched/started to strip the threads!
I put a coat of the sealant over the screw heads once tightened:

I did this yesterday and checking it this afternoon, the sealant has set 'tacky', as it's meant to do.  But I'm wondering if I should now cover this with a coat of RTV =- what do we think?
I'm away for a few days through this week so won't put petrol in until end of next week/next weekend (so that I'm around if it does leak and I can syphon any petrol out if it does) but I'm getting a little anxious about this - if it doesn't seal I'll have to take the tank out, and I really don't fancy doing that.

ETA - When I took the crosshead screws out there was a flat washer underneath.  I don't remember these being part of the kit, and they do look like the small washers I have so think I may have put these in as good engineering practise, to spread the load.  But if I have fitted these it does beg the question as to whether I'm going to be able to get a seal.

Last modified October 24th, 2021, 15:18:20 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 542 - 545
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 31st, 2021, 16:25:10 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

It doesn't leak! At least it doesn't appear to with half a tank of fuel in it.
In other news - the speedo cable turns but when connected to the speedo head, it doesn't drive the speedo needle. This could mean the speedo head is U/S, or that the piece of the cable which engages into it isn't long enough. Does anyone know if it's possible to withdraw the inner from the outer, leaving the outer in place and then safely reinsert an inner?
If this is possible I'll have a longer inner made.  Or is there a test I can do on the head unit itself?
As part of checking the tank, I ran the car up to temperature. While only idling, the fan cut in with the needle recording about 3/4 (mid way between mid point and red line), cooling as it should, stopping again  when the  gauge was at the mid point
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 543 - 545
Graham Bichard
Posted on: November 6th, 2021, 12:38:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

So what dimension should the inner drive cable be, from the nipple to the end, in order to drive the speedo head.  Any ideas?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 544 - 545
Graham Bichard
Posted on: Today, 10:48:03 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Can anyone tell me if Andy Wright (Club Spares) has an email address I can use to contact him on?  There is a mobile phone number but no email address in the club magazine.
I've got a couple of questions regarding the Spal electric cooling fans the club sells but don't want to bother him on the phone (he can reply to an email as and when he has time).
Cheers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 545 - 545
Pages: « ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules