Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (32 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 69,800 views)
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 9th, 2022, 09:46:52 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Craig, All,
Looking at the circuit diagram I think I can 'extract' the info for only a second fan.  But am I correct in thinking when comparing your diagram with what I've done, the relay pin 85 and 86 polarity is swapped around?
That is - where I have a +ve feed, you've got a earth?
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 585 - 590
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 9th, 2022, 10:31:23 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Proposed relay:
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/169
With holder:
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/179/category/37

Using a simple in-line fuse/holder and a single pole, single throw on/off switch - something like this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p.....BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
(Not sure if this switch is IVA compliant but chosen as an example)

Am I heading on the right path with these items?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 586 - 590
Craig Smith
Posted on: July 11th, 2022, 09:19:53 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Graham Bichard, posted July 9th, 2022, 09:46:52 at here
Craig, All,
 But am I correct in thinking when comparing your diagram with what I've done, the relay pin 85 and 86 polarity is swapped around?
That is - where I have a +ve feed, you've got a earth?
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers.

Ordinarily the way that you wire pins 85 & 86 would make no difference to its operation (though 85 is commonly referenced as "coil ground").  However, the relay that you have chosen has an internal diode across pins 85 & 86, and therefore would have to be wired as per my diagram with 85 going to earth.  Alternatively you could go for a relay without a diode:  CBS part number 140201 and wire it as per your diagram.  

All that you are doing with 85 & 86 is energising a coil, and it makes no difference which way the current flows with a non diode fitted unit.

Other items all look fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 587 - 590
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 16th, 2022, 14:04:46 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Thanks Craig.  I didn't realise I'd selected a relay with a diode - no need for that I think.  So I'll look to keep it simple (of course) and get the bits ordered.
Cheers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 588 - 590
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 23rd, 2022, 14:47:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Received through the post this week:

Relay & holder, plenty of black & red 17.5Amp cable (I did think about trying to match the MPi loom wire colours, but I'll be marking these cables up with a tag so this was an easier option), plenty of spare connectors.
I purchased the maxi fuse size inline fuse holder as it was only a few quid - I haven't as yet been able to locate a regular size blade fuse inline holder rated at 15A as yet, but will keep looking (until such time as I do the wiring) as it will be more convenient only carrying one size (not rating) of spare fuse.

I bought the switch from RS (along with some cable covering to try and make it look like a 'proper job')- I think it'll be okay (for IVA), the edge profile being similar to the other rectangular rocker switches, but I might hide it away under the dash for the test and mount it correctly on the dash afterwards.

Re-reading Mr Dickens book, he mentions he prefers not to wire the fan through the ignition (albeit he controls the fan with a temperature switch).  I'm tempted - in the name of simplicity in my case, to revisit whether I wire the fan directly i.e. leave out the ignition switch.

Also received the mounting feet for the second fan, which I'd forgotten to order with the fan!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 589 - 590
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 23rd, 2022, 15:41:18 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Okay - so after a bit of reassurance here please.
This is a photo of my starter motor area, in particular the red +ve connection.  (Not the clearest of photo's I'm afraid)

Am I correct in thinking it is from here that I take the power to connect to the Relay (connection '30')?
Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 590 - 590
Pages: « ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules