Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Jem  >  Jem body
0 Members Browsing (6 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Jem body  (currently 2,335 views)
Kurt Barker
Posted on: June 30th, 2008, 07:27:05 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hello all,

I've just joined the forum and am very interested in owning a Jem. I saw a blue one with yellow nose at Newark (and have also seen it pictured on this site) and appear to be hooked!

The question I have is simple....do themoulds exist toallow a Jem to be built?
Another Mini based car that appeals is the Unipower GT, but I imagine they re like the proverbial Hen's Teeth!

Kind regards,
Kurt

Last modified June 30th, 2008, 07:27:35 by Kurt Barker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: June 30th, 2008, 09:25:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Hi Kurt and welcome to the forum.

If you are interested in a Unipower GT, take a look at the restoration section of this site.

http://www.scholar-racing96.com/frame.htm

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
admin
Posted on: June 30th, 2008, 16:11:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Hi Kurt,

I plead guilty to owning the blue Jem with the yellow nose. The moulds do still exist. There were at one time plans to make some new shells for restoration purposes but that didn't come to anything. I know who has the moulds but I don't have any contact details.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Kurt Barker
Posted on: June 30th, 2008, 19:46:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Quoted from admin, posted June 30th, 2008, 16:11:39 at here
Hi Kurt,

I plead guilty to owning the blue Jem with the yellow nose. The moulds do still exist. There were at one time plans to make some new shells for restoration purposes but that didn't come to anything. I know who has the moulds but I don't have any contact details.

Hmm,
I'm having a double whammey day today! I've never owned a Mini or a derivative and yet here I am fancying one, but with a few changes. I like the look of the Unipower GT (and today have heard from the chap who has the moulds) and the Mini Jem moulds are still in existance. Having done further research into the Unipower, (thank you to the gentleman who gave me the link to the Scholar Website), I realise that it had a separate spaceframe chassis and is a little beyond me to build one of those. The Mini Jem is very tempting, but I'm having a nagging thought that I'd like Rear wheel drive!  

Looking on the Scholar site, I noticed the 1000cc 60's style coupe project they are developing for the 750 Motor Club racing, and it looks good so far.....and right what I'm after. However, I also like the Jem, but have a couple of questions. Please don't shoot me for thinking it never mind putting it down on the screen for all to read, but I'd love something like a Jem (mayyybeeee a Marcos, but they appear too bulbous at the front for me) and put a bike engine in it! There, I've said it, so you can ostrocise (spelling) me now!!

Now I know there are rwd and fwd bike engine options for mini's, but is there a car out there that uses the mini front subframe out back for good old rear drive action, or (at worst) will a bike engine front subframe slip into a Jem shell (at the front)???

Regarding the moulds for the Jem (and thank you for informing me of there existance, we really need to find them!) would it be possible to bribe someone into producing a shell or two or even loan the moulds out to a moulding expert?? One more thing Admin, please feel free in taking the blame for relighting my desire for a very small 1960's style low slung coupe with 13" wheels and SILLY POWER. I feel I may be soon selling my Elise for something smaller and more reliable (read cheaper to maintain!).

Kind regards,
Kurt

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Neil KilBane
Posted on: June 30th, 2008, 20:47:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

RWD ? have you looked at any ogf the Cox GTMs ? one sold on here only a few weeks ago, could be just what you need.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Kurt Barker
Posted on: July 1st, 2008, 06:32:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi Neil,

Yes I'd considered it, but not over enthusiast about the styling. Any more out there?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Neil KilBane
Posted on: July 1st, 2008, 08:34:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Why not have a look through the Alternatives list on the main Club Forum.

http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/altpics/index1.html

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Nick Evans
Posted on: July 1st, 2008, 18:13:17 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Or how about a Ginetta G15. Rear wheel drive, small, 60's styling and still fairly cheap.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Jem  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules