Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Front Damper mounts
0 Members Browsing (41 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Front Damper mounts  (currently 564 views)
Alex Gibson
Posted on: April 11th, 2008, 17:58:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Whilst repairing the front inner wings (Mk3 MM) the previous owner has removed all trace of where the top damper mounts should be!
<a href="http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Axle_2007/?action=view&current=IMG_0147.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket</a>
Should the inner wings be cut this far back? It looks to me that the mount should be where the inner wing is missing! Can anyone please give me some measurement for the location of the said mounts?
With thanks Alex

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: April 11th, 2008, 18:20:57
Attachment: 91.jpg - 52.79 KB (630 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Here are a few pics of top suspension points, the y might be helpful.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Neil KilBane
Posted on: April 11th, 2008, 18:23:50
Attachment: 10.15.07.jpg - 11.95 KB (626 views)
Maximum Member2

Perhaps not the best example

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Neil KilBane
Posted on: April 11th, 2008, 18:26:38
Attachment: crossmember.jpg - 40.25 KB (626 views)
Maximum Member2

The mounting holes for the top of the mount can be seen here .

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
admin
Posted on: April 12th, 2008, 13:53:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

As Neil's photos show the damper mounts should be bolted through the existing holes in the flange at each end of the steel cross member (or cross member insert in the case of Mk.IV and later). There may be a tapped steel bar buried in the fibreglass at the top. The flanges may have rusted away over time, in which case there are various mods you can do, like having a steel plate which is clamped between the crossmember and the subframe tower, which then goes up on the outside of the inner wing. Alternatively just make sure there is plenty of fibreglass there and bolt onto that with big washers or plates on the indside.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Alex Gibson
Posted on: April 13th, 2008, 13:22:45 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I have drilled very small pilot holes (2) in the inner wing just above the end of the crossmember, it just goes straight through! The glass fibre at this point is 12mm thick. Do you think i will get away with it if i put spreader plates/large washers on the inside of the inner wing?

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
admin
Posted on: April 13th, 2008, 22:00:27 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

There may be an air gap or rust gap in the middle of that 12mm, but the fibreglass is pretty substantial around that point anyway. If you think about it, the greatest stress is likely to occur if you hit a large pot hole or run over a kerb or something hard. The top of the mounting bracket is pushed up and in, so the force is from the outside. The bottom edge of the bracket is pulled outwards so you need to spread the load on the inside. It's only a damper, so the cones should be taking most of the force, but of course it is essential that the suspension hits the bump stops before the damper runs out of travel.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Colin Jenkins
Posted on: April 22nd, 2008, 14:51:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I had the bracket mounts rust away on my old Mk111 back many years ago. I made up a metal plate for to go inside the engine bay and another under the wheel arch and clamped them together with bolts. I then welded the brackets to the plates. Stayed like that for years until the brackets themselves rusated away on the off side.

The current owned has cut the entire crossmember out to renew it. A bit drastic but thorough.

I have also seen bracketry fabricated and mounted directly to the sub frame towers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules