Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Weight???
0 Members Browsing (59 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1, 2 : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Weight???  (currently 1,580 views)
Guy Humphries
Posted on: July 5th, 2008, 23:31:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hi All!

Anyone know what the approx weight of a Mk3 MM is? I'm thinking of getting a trailer for mine, & was trying to find out about legal towing weights etc. Anyone any experience/info?
btw, don't worry, I'm not thinking of woosing out (is that a word?) completely - just might be handy for the odd long distance event...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: July 6th, 2008, 08:09:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Why not drive to your local waste recycling/refuse  centre, they usually weigh cars going in and coming out to determine the charges.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 20
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 6th, 2008, 09:55:09 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Drive it as much as possible!

The weight is just what u have in the car some weight 630kg others 550 or even less.  Your neighbours would be happy with another think in the street .

cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 2 - 20
Tertius van Zyl
Posted on: July 6th, 2008, 16:14:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Guy, with roadgoing trim and a half a tank of fuel, mine weighed 610kgs on the weighbridge at the local track.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 20
Tom Wiggers
Posted on: July 6th, 2008, 18:45:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

youtube.com/profile_videos?user=marcosminigt

Quoted from Tertius van Zyl, posted July 6th, 2008, 16:14:20 at here
Guy, with roadgoing trim and a half a tank of fuel, mine weighed 610kgs on the weighbridge at the local track.

Hi, mine weighs 610 kg too, with full rollcage and half a tank of fuel (app. 25 liters)
Private Message Reply: 4 - 20
Guy Humphries
Posted on: July 6th, 2008, 22:22:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Thanks guys, that helpful - I'm sure it must be similar to Tom's, the cage will more than make up for the lack of trimm & passenger seat I'm sure

Don't worry Joost, I'm just jealous of your posh trailer - Doubt if I'll end upi with anything that grand

I'll try Neil's tip of checking out the local tip - Hope they won't want to keep it...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 20
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 7th, 2008, 14:34:41 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

yea trying to find a weight bridge! But 610 kilo's... thats much!! How can u get sutch a heavy car? I think my car will weight less if its on the road! I have a rear beam axle instead of a rear subframe! The normal rear subframe without wheels weight 50 kilo's  !!

cheers

(p.s.) Guy is it possible to send me the photos of the IMM 08?   I pay you the cd back!

Last modified July 7th, 2008, 14:36:02 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 6 - 20
Patrick Nicolas
Posted on: July 7th, 2008, 16:56:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

On the local farmer cooperative scale : 600 kg right (road/racing car with empty tank)

Last modified July 7th, 2008, 16:56:30 by Patrick Nicolas
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 20
Tom Wiggers
Posted on: July 8th, 2008, 10:17:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Joost van Dien, posted July 7th, 2008, 14:34:41 at here
yea trying to find a weight bridge! But 610 kilo's... thats much!! How can u get sutch a heavy car? I think my car will weight less if its on the road! I have a rear beam axle instead of a rear subframe! The normal rear subframe without wheels weight 50 kilo's  !!

cheers

(p.s.) Guy is it possible to send me the photos of the IMM 08?   I pay you the cd back!

It is very light! No carpets etc, but a roll cage of ChrMo is very light but youre still adding weight. A standard MM could be lighter.
A MM is very light at the rear. Very bad front-rear weight ratio. So if a MM is becoming lighter at the rear the handling will go down. 100%
In BCT in germany the racing Minis handle better because the cars are more balanced. If you want a better or lighter race MM then you should make a mid mounted engine behind your seat!
Private Message Reply: 8 - 20
Guy Humphries
Posted on: July 8th, 2008, 19:09:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Tom's right - That's pretty light!!!

My car has a steel cage, so probably a bit heavier than Tom's,.. We'll see when I've been to the weighing place...

I was thinking of going down the beam axle route too - maybe it's not such a good idea?

Re IMM cd - Sorry, been very busy with work all summer so far    I'll make it up soon - Let me know if anyone would like a copy - pm me your address & I'll add you to the list No charge - It's only a CD!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 20
Allan Brown
Posted on: July 8th, 2008, 21:34:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Guy,

My car weighs 600 Kg with a steel cage. It is about 400 Kg on the front and 200 Kg on the back.

A beam axle is a good idea, you just need to find someway of removing the same amount of weight from the front.

Allan
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 20
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 8th, 2008, 21:44:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

For Guy: tnx for the cd ill send my adres etc ill wait on it  

For Allan: I have a normal steel beam axle because an aluminium would be too light! it has adjustible radius arm holes. BUT you have to use coilovers for it... I have ordered the lowered gaz ones! For the front you can save weight on many thinks: aluminium radiator, Aluminium cilinderhead, mini sport alloy calipers, magnesium rims, a lighted subframe (tom's subframe) and coilovers instead of the alloy tubes and ruber cones (dont think it make much differance  ) How lighter you want to make the car the more pricie it gets... Ill make photos of my rear setup when its finished, first I need to finish the body nearly finished with it

Cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 11 - 20
admin
Posted on: July 9th, 2008, 10:30:38
Attachment: ecowes.jpeg - 59.61 KB (1334 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

I just wonder how much it's worth trying to save a bit of weight when you still have that big lump of A-Series iron at the front?

Actually I chopped out quite a bit of weight when I rebuilt foggy's front end. Now the original flat nose panel and lump of wood supporting the new panel are gone, and it's much easier to get at the radiator and the front of the engine.

Last modified July 9th, 2008, 10:34:25 by admin
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 12 - 20
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 10th, 2008, 11:16:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I have found the ideal weight saving idea!! Buy an Alloy A series engine!! I heard a rumour that they are in production as a special order. I found 1 photo ill upload it today!

cheers

Last modified July 10th, 2008, 11:23:42 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 13 - 20
Tom Wiggers
Posted on: July 10th, 2008, 18:42:59 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Joost van Dien, posted July 10th, 2008, 11:16:06 at here
I have found the ideal weight saving idea!! Buy an Alloy A series engine!! I heard a rumour that they are in production as a special order. I found 1 photo ill upload it today!

cheers

Now that is a saving, steel app 7,9kg/liter, aluminium 2,7kg/liter, so you will save on that, but new problems occur when you copy a steel A/A+ and make an alloy one. The technique is 1950s, the best to do is fit a new engine from honda, fiat or whatever. Alloy A engines are non original, then one could also drive with honda engines imho.
Private Message Reply: 14 - 20
Guy Humphries
Posted on: July 11th, 2008, 21:56:56 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

New front end looks good Rich

Do you fancy sorting mine out, seeing as how you're such a dab hand with the fibreglass???

Got to stay original I'm afraid - cast iron block it has to be... maybe I can loose a bit of weight myself...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 20
Garry Scott
Posted on: July 12th, 2008, 02:05:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

i did hear someone had got hold of the rover ali A series block and was measuring it up, there is a propper couple of ali blocks in existence but i presume there is no decent tooling for it!

i will be building a 1380 A series with a TWIN CAM BMW K1100 head on it in the future, has anyone tried one of the ali heads that are available?

Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 16 - 20
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 14th, 2008, 15:33:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

There are normal A series alloy heads for sale. You can buy them new and are the same as a normal one! But they weigh a lot less!
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 17 - 20
Henko
Posted on: July 27th, 2008, 12:56:53 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

at the imm in 1999 there was a rough machined aluminium A series block (can't remember on who's stand it was),
I have had it in my hands, something you can't so easy do with a cast iron block...
Logged Offline
Private Message ICQ Reply: 18 - 20
Bob Polak
Posted on: September 10th, 2008, 04:22:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Sorry back to the weight thing, my vintage car just got weight with 5 US gal of gas full rollcage weight in at 1320 pounds,1 raceseat, min weight for racing here and USA is 1350 with out driver!!

bob.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 20
Pete Crudgington
Posted on: September 30th, 2008, 10:03:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I actually 1 ally a series block.  It was made in the sixties as a BMC project a total of 7 were cast.  It weighs very little but is 998cc.  I did bring it to Castle Combe a few years ago.  I also have a ally aquaplane head to go with it!

Pete

By the way Granny is 593kgs ready to race, should be possible to build a road car in the 530kgs bracket and a Mk3 or ealier racer to about 550.  The Mk4s are quite a bit heavier.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 20
Pages: 1, 2 : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules