Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Engine respray and cage
0 Members Browsing (38 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Engine respray and cage  (currently 4,815 views)
Garry Scott
Posted on: November 22nd, 2008, 17:47:36 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

i dont know what a marcos spring rate would be but ive got 150lb springs in the rear of my clubman, i spoke to the guy at merlin motorsport when i was buying them as he designed the rear beam for speedex back in the 60s
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 30 - 45
Joost van Dien
Posted on: November 28th, 2008, 16:23:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Drive it as much as possible!

I have to look for the lb's I have.. I post as soon as possible!!
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 31 - 45
Joost van Dien
Posted on: October 23rd, 2009, 18:32:42 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hello everybody..

A new update! After a lot!!! of time! This is because of school and work.. I work 5 days for school and 2 days in the weekend so not much time.. But bit by bit there are lots of things done on the mm sometimes you can not see them directly..

I wanted to do the underside first. Because then I could put the rear beam and front subframe with wheels under the car and sand the car on a normal height! So after 2 weeks of working on my back under the car! Sanding fiberglassing and more sanding and sanding.. It was finally ready for the structure couting for the inner wheel arches. There was so much fiberglass work done on them that it was not always the best vieuw under the car so with a bit structure coat it was much better. Then I sprayed it with 2k grey epoxy couting to seal it of from water.

The front plates were you can mound the shocks are reinforced with steel welded plates. At the outside there is a 3mm thick plate made to fit. I have drilled 2 extra holes at each side. Because all the weight will be on these point now.. It is only the body with all the stuff in but it is still not bad to reinforce!

Wheel arches before spraying so you can see it was straight before spraying and no filler!  

I remade the dashboard as it was grinded away by someone who was not capable of having a mm. I did this with a flat plate under the old piece and fiberglassed over the old pieces that were left. Result:

I also have made some changes to the engine. Polished the LCB so it can get nice blue shinny:

Front and rear suspension before fitting:

It costed me 2 days to polish but the result of the fuel tank:

Fitted front and rear suspension:

It took a long time but now a big update!

Cheers,

Joost

Last modified October 23rd, 2009, 18:37:36 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 32 - 45
Allan Brown
Posted on: October 23rd, 2009, 20:08:14 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Excellent work.
It is amazing how you feel as if nothing is happening then all of a sudden it all comes together.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 33 - 45
Syd Crawford
Posted on: October 23rd, 2009, 21:14:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Yeh, nice work Joost. Good to see it coming along.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 45
Joost van Dien
Posted on: May 26th, 2010, 10:33:47 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hello,

Its a long time ago.. I was very busy with school and work.. But the car has transformed as well!!

Sanding and sanding..

spray cabine
first 3 layers of 2k epoxy

next day sanding it a bit back and fill up all the pin holes.
Then 3, 4 or 5 layers of spray filler in different colour, so you can see were you are with sanding and flatting out.

Inside and engine bay spray
First epoxy and then paint.

With dashboard

Covering plate for the old fuel tank hole.

It was lots and lots of hard work, but I think its worth it!
I will post some pictures of the head lining soon.

Cheers,

Joost

Last modified May 28th, 2010, 08:09:27 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 35 - 45
Graham Bichard
Posted on: May 26th, 2010, 19:55:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

As has already been said, Joost, excellant work.  And very inspirational - can't wait to get to that stage  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 36 - 45
Joost van Dien
Posted on: May 26th, 2010, 21:41:51 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

THanks Graham! If anyone else from the forum need any pictures from somthing like body shape or specefic thinks maybe I can help with pictures. I have more than 1000 pictures of this car and more than 1500 in total from other marcoses etc. Let me know by email of on this topic. I will post pictures of the headlining, fuel tank and cage as soon as possible. Hope to do this sunday.

Cheers,
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 37 - 45
Richard Fysh
Posted on: November 9th, 2010, 00:10:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Absolutely stunning work Joost... Keep up the good work
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 38 - 45
Peter Bremner
Posted on: November 9th, 2010, 23:46:18 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Did you spray your arm as well?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 45
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 19th, 2011, 07:58:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

It has been far to long ago... Now there are updates!

Thanks for all the advice, help and good compliments!
@ Garry, This is far to long ago... But I've checked the spring rate. At the back it is 120 lb's. Front I cannot find.
@ Peter, I am so addicted to the car and colour.. I thought to spray my arm the very same yellow! In fact it is a sort of marcos tattoo  .

The car! The last pictures were from the spray and a few small other bits. In more than a year there has been quite some new stuff. The engine bay now has a green stripe (same as engine and cage). By the rear and of the cage is fitted and only needs to bolt it through the body. The fuel tank is lying under the cage and fits perfect now. It wass quite a job to get the rear van lights good in possition.. Measuring measuring etc etc.. Then drill the holes and file the to the right size. The radiator is a very think aluminium version of a golf 3, because the in and outlet are on the same side and a good cooling capacity. The radiator hangs in home made brackets with rubber shocks (with thanks to G-J!)  

The next step was to put the engine in. The engine was lifted up and the car was pushed under. It was tricky to get it in without damaging the engine bay. But it did go well. In a few hours I had the drive shafts and engine mounts in place. The job of dressing up the engine was begon. An oil cooler with thermostate switch was added. This only fits just, and sits in a quite unusual place I think.. There was just not enough room elsewere without chopping some big holes in the car. The pedal box, clutch and brake master were put in place. Now it was time to do something with the dashboard.. To get the dashboard to fit with the front section of the cage, some holes needed to be cut. And this is not a German car so measuring was not quite an option. After the cutting I wanted to strengthen the dash by laminating some wood panels in. This worked very well and made the das a stiffer. Then it was time to spray it, sprayed with a layer of 2k epoxy to get a good bond, afer that a lot of layers spray filler. After sanding I finished it with 2k semi gloss black (ral 9005, ~70% gloss). The window vents come from a MG B and fits perfect. All the room in the middle was used for gauges so I needed a new spot for the switches. This was done by putting an aluminium panel in place.

The fuel pump was next. Because the fuel pump is at the back of my seat and I didn't want to be covered in fuel when it would be leaking (you never know). So I bought an aluminium casing were I carefully made a hole in it and put a yellow piece of persplex in it  . The fuel pump is now in the casing standing on rubber shocks. The fuel line is in place. I made some side windows but didn't want to use the original push down system.. So I bougth a sliding kit and made a hole in the window. It fits very good and works well. The wiring loom had to be made.. (still working on this one). I bougth a ready to use panel with all the fuses and relays already on it. (not that far so will update about this later on this year). Also made a 3rd brake light, mounted on the cage. Made an alloy bracket to support it (this was when it was christmas and your not allowed to do anything but socialize... sneaked to the garage  ). I will post some pictures.

If anyone has questions or wants photos.. just ask here or email me!

Cheers,

Joost

Here you can see a piece of headlining. Perforated alcantara.

Custom made car cover, including roundels, same wide stripe and stitched mini marcos logo.

Last modified July 19th, 2011, 08:04:53 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 40 - 45
Nick Harland
Posted on: April 7th, 2012, 22:02:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

seriously ive been watching out for your updates on facebook but this is awesome!! really great work here!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 41 - 45
AK
Posted on: January 11th, 2013, 14:05:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi, is it a new Dashboard ? And if it's right where are you bought it ??
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 42 - 45
Joost van Dien
Posted on: January 12th, 2013, 12:18:31 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hi all,

Ak; Welcome to the forum. (haven't been online since a long time). Yes the dashboard is a new item. Rae Davis has the mould for it and can supply you one. But beware, the man is ghost. I ordered a dashboard for a mate about 10 months ago. The was going to make 2 dashboards and I haven't heard from him since. So I try to contact hem from time to time, via email and phone, but nothing. This was the same with my dashboard. Took me 5 months to get it here. So eventually you will have a dashboard but it will take time. His website is: http://www.raedavisracing.com/
Try to ring him on both numbers 5 times a day and send him a few emails. I hope you can contact him! Good luck!

It has been a will since I last updated this tread. I am very very busy with school. Went back to school after a year of work. Now learning for mechanical engineering. This is the reason my cars are a bit behind and the thread as well.. Some of you can sometimes see an update on facebook. But now there will be an update, at last!!

The last updates are more about interior and engine. Done all the electrics on the car. Was an absolute pain in the donkey... But its now working all with 2 small things to fix. The engine has all the coolant hoses in place. Same for the oil cooler hoses. Mounting the engine was a bit of a problem. I didn't want to use the top engine steady (thermostat housing to bulkhead). It is a big lumpy thing and not pretty. I went for the Kad top and gearbox steady's. So no need for the thermostat engine steady. But when you have a Kad engine steady it's not nice to use the standard fixing brackets on the bulkhead and engine. So I made them myself out of alloy. Takes some time but then you have something to look at. Exhaust was another bit to get sorted. Since the marcos mk1/2/3 is a bit longer than a saloon and smaller than an estate, you cannot by an exhaust off the shelf. With the maniflow lm004ss installed and the playmini damper on the back I could measure the link pipe. Went to a small company in Belgium that makes exhausts. The man made me a link pipe and it fits perfect. No need to weld or grind with this one...

Well for the people don't know, it has been sprayed!  . It was still in the spray filler so I needed to sand it down first. Bought myself a mirka electric sander and began with the dusty job of sanding and flattening out a few areas. Sanding it with grid 320 on the machine. After that grid 500 by hand. Took another 2 days to get it right. Constant looking with a flash light to be sure there were no coarse marks of the 320.

After that it was time for spraying. Well, not really spraying but prepare for it. Took me around half a day to mask of the car. At this point you realize the marcos has some really funny angles. With the masking done I could degrease the car. Degreased it 2 times with oil based degreaser and 2 times with a water based to get any sweat marks off. Time to spray! I sprayed the whole car myself except for the very last layer. After that it was time to wait a few days and pick the car up.

I waited weeks before working on the car. I wanted the paint to be really dried. It was time to fix the small bits. The windows, doors, headlamps etc could go in.
I think I have written enough for now . Pictures tell the rest. I have more pictures so if anybody wants a close up, send me an email.

Before the last cables were fixed

Interior by now

Coolant hoses

Another one, take in the wheel arch

Kad top steady with alloy bracket

Other side of the bracket

Oil cooler bracket

Exhaust system

Bonnet release mechanism. The bonnet can open normally but it can be taken out as well.

Sanding starts

Preparing

After the last layer

Bonnet

The doors

With its suit

Brakes lights are working

Window fitted

The MB's with Kad 4 pot. At last a wheel that has good clearance

Last picture take from the car, last week.

Cheers,
Joost van Dien

Last modified January 12th, 2013, 12:23:53 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 43 - 45
AK
Posted on: January 13th, 2013, 20:02:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks So much for this information, i try to contact him soon, and wait and see.
Congratulation for all your job on the Marcos and good luck for your engineer study ...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 44 - 45
Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules