Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  mini marcos irish MI 10
0 Members Browsing (45 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1, 2 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    mini marcos irish MI 10  (currently 1,990 views)
patrickstrogen
Posted on: October 6th, 2008, 21:27:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
i'm from southern ireland and i have just aquired a mini marcos mk3 i've been told its a 1968 car. it is one of the models produced in dublin. the manufacturers plate is on the car as well as the small plate saying it was made in dublin. i don,t know if the car was ever registered and i have no log book. its been left up since 1980 in a shed.i know the car was rallyed before 1980 at mondello and all over ireland. the last owner had no logbook either.  the plate says MI 10.can anyone help me trace origional owner or reg or how i go about registering it. it needs total restoration but i have already rebuilt a 1980 austin mini so it should be ok
e-mail Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: October 7th, 2008, 07:49:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Hi Patrick and welcome to the forum.

There aren't too many Irish on here so one more is a bonus.

Where abouts are you ? I'm in Longford and I have two Marcoses, A MkIV that has been nearly finished for a while now and a MkIII shell that is a long way from being on the road.

Marcos Ireland cars were built in Dublin in from 1967 by a guy called Dave Dunne, I think he had a place on the Long Mile Road. Most of them were used for motorsport , usually circuit racing or grass track racing and because of this they were never registered.

There are very few Mini Marcoses on the road here, at the moment I know of one in Cork and one in Dublin, Des Quinn has his Marcos, MI01R, out racing in Mondello and there is a Galway car that competes on the hillclimbs on a regular basis. There are a good few cars "undergoing restoration" though, so numbers will be up in the future.

Do you have any pics of your car ? It's always nice to see another one saved. Richard would love another Marcos Ireland car for the Gallery.

There are plenty of guys on here only to delighted to help in any way they can, so once again welcome.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 16
Gert-Jan Westerveld
Posted on: October 7th, 2008, 16:26:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

welcome to the forum  

Rebuild engine  1312CC  .    
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
Alex Gibson
Posted on: October 7th, 2008, 17:45:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Welcome Patrick  

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 16
Joost van Dien
Posted on: October 10th, 2008, 16:42:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Drive it as much as possible!

Hello Patrick,

Welcome to the forum!  
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 4 - 16
Rodger Howard
Posted on: October 21st, 2008, 09:27:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hello Patrick,
I have MI 9 here in Australia via Japan.
I had it registered when it arrived in the country two years ago and promptly took it off the road to rebuild it as a road registered circuit racing car.
My understanding is that it is from 1967 as it has the fixed rear window. I see from the gallery pics that your window is up at the back but is it hinged?
I would like to find out a little more about the irish cars and their history.
I would appreciate it if you find anything out to post it
regards rodger
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
patrickstrogen
Posted on: October 21st, 2008, 16:27:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
hi there...my car should have a fixed back window, somebody replaced it with plastic glass with 2 hinges screwed onto the top, mine is probably a 67 too then. im trying to register it at the moment, did u have any problems registering it
e-mail Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
patrickstrogen
Posted on: October 21st, 2008, 16:34:45 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
ths is for the irish owners of  irish marcos cars.... i am trying to register it , The DVLA have no record of it, so it most probably has never been registered in ireland.  the only chassis number i have is the one on the brass plate which reads MI 10   Should there be another number on the car?,  does anyone have any info that might help me? i would love to have its logbook and number plates to give me the incentive to move on with the restoration
e-mail Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
Syd Crawford
Posted on: October 22nd, 2008, 21:39:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hi Rodger. I think I met you briefly at the last historic Winton in May. Henry was telling me about the cage you had made for your Marcos. Hopefully you are getting close to having it ready for some circuit work and I can see it in the flesh!

Last modified October 22nd, 2008, 23:20:39 by Syd Crawford
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
Neil KilBane
Posted on: October 22nd, 2008, 22:20:42 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Patrick, did you get your Marcos in Ballinasloe by any chance ?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
patrickstrogen
Posted on: October 23rd, 2008, 16:54:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
yes i did...why do u know it?......don't give me any bad news please.
e-mail Private Message Reply: 10 - 16
Neil KilBane
Posted on: October 23rd, 2008, 21:17:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Formerly belonged to Mick Hyland I think, I looked at it back in 1999, it was in a turf shed at the back of the house, it was split at the C pillar, he was looking for IR£1000 back then , but I left it behind as it had no papers so was only suitable for circuit racing or sprints.

Did you get an engine with it ?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
Rodger Howard
Posted on: October 24th, 2008, 08:55:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Patrick,
I was lucky as the car had been registered in Japan and because of it's documented age it did not have to meet any major compliance requirements that started in 1971.
It simply had to be roadworthy.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
patrickstrogen
Posted on: October 25th, 2008, 17:53:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
hi neil.. yes thats who i bought it off for ¤ 1100.. it came with a 1L metro engine complete just have to drop it in. i will be trying to register it next week hopefully i won't be having any problems. where was the split u mentioned as i  haven;t seen anything i have it totally stripped out and theres no sign of anything inside or out
e-mail Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
Neil KilBane
Posted on: October 26th, 2008, 16:32:31 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

It was on the rear passenger side pillar if I remember correctly.

Where are you going to register the Marcos, when I imported mine, they hadn't a clue what it was, one lady asked if it was a tractor said she never heard of a MAC ROS . They didn't register it straight away, the paperwork had to go to Roslare, eventually came back with a reg number, but I won't get any V5 paperwork for it until I tax it.
Mine is a 71 car so there was no problem with the VRT, ¤50.

You should browse through the Irish Kit Car Clubs forum  http://www.ikcc.ie/forum/index.php they have a section on VRT and Road Tax/NCT it might be of help to you.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
Pages: 1, 2 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules