Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (39 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 16,253 views)
admin
Posted on: August 17th, 2012, 09:43:46
Attachment: hoseleft.jpg - 54.62 KB (3380 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Quoted from Graham Bichard, posted August 16th, 2012, 19:44:34 at here
Does anyone have any pictures of where the heater pipes go through the bulkhead?  Comparing with the mini, the heater pipes would protrude directly where the chassis plate is.

Put the hose through where it's convenient. This is mine - nearside:

Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 180 - 517
admin
Posted on: August 17th, 2012, 09:44:19
Attachment: hoseright.jpg - 60.28 KB (3361 views)
Quote Report to Moderator

and offside:

Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 181 - 517
Neil KilBane
Posted on: August 17th, 2012, 13:17:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 182 - 517
Matthew Payne
Posted on: August 17th, 2012, 19:49:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Wheels and catches look ace. I really like the 'black on orange' look.

Heater pipes... Don't bother, they're a pain to fill! Seriously though, I fitted a heater originally, but have just removed it, as it was always a little too hot! After 5-10 minutes of driving, the heat-soak is enough that its nice and warm!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 183 - 517
Stuart
Posted on: August 18th, 2012, 09:36:08 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Matthew Payne, posted August 17th, 2012, 19:49:30 at here
I fitted a heater originally, but have just removed it, as it was always a little too hot! After 5-10 minutes of driving, the heat-soak is enough that its nice and warm!

Remind me not to get a lift anywhere with you in the middle of winter, brrrrr

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 184 - 517
admin
Posted on: August 18th, 2012, 12:17:10 Quote Report to Moderator

How about fitting a heater control valve?
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 185 - 517
Matthew Payne
Posted on: August 18th, 2012, 21:03:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I think I might leave it in the shed over winter :-p

Control valve didn't seem to make much difference. I suspect that the pipe route wasn't exactly clever, so hot water was probably going the opposite way to what I was expecting... Too late to worry about it now!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 186 - 517
Peter Bremner
Posted on: August 20th, 2012, 20:15:49 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I then fitted a floating water valve behind the heater. The two spouts are to bleed the pipes. I made my own head outlet from a blanking plate and a 90 degree 15mm copper pipe fitting
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 187 - 517
Mirek Ko
Posted on: August 21st, 2012, 09:02:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Perfect work
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 188 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 21st, 2012, 19:17:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Thanks for the pictures guys.  I'm back to work now, so work once again progress slows.  It'll give me a chance to save up for a set of MPI silicon hoses (£145+  )
Glad the orange and black scheme appeals - I hope it'll look as good as I think it will.
And I found out yesterday that you can't get the female part of the plug for the rear lights!  Guess I'll be constructing something from my selection of female terminals then  

Last modified August 21st, 2012, 19:18:05 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 189 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: September 23rd, 2012, 15:17:52 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Well I've got the rear lights connected:

Once tested I'll tidy this up.
I also fitted the switch panel:

I'm not sure how to wire the power socket in - googling does produce answer, I just don't understand them too well!
I might have found a solution to padding the lower dash rail too:

Pipe insulation.  I need to try and find black though.
This is my solution to the fuel tank (to charcoal cannister) problem.  I'll just have to be careful not to fill the tank too full:

The fuel system has proven a bit of a nightmare to plumb ib - nothing hard just awkward.  I'll put a picture up when finished.
For heat control I've put some Zircotec sheeting on the bulkhead:

I'll put more of this lower down and along the exhaust tunnel, perhaps around the silencer box also.  With thermal wrap on the manifold hopefully that will control cabin temperatures.
Also (don't laugh), my first attempts at gel coat repairs:

There was four of five places I attempted to repair, luckily most of them unseen areas.
I've got a functioning hand brake now too!  With luck it'll be on (two) wheels soon, and I'll be able to wheel it in and out a bit easier to create space in the garage  

Last modified September 23rd, 2012, 15:55:53 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 190 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 13th, 2012, 13:06:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Right, so long as it doesn't leak, I've got the fuel lines plumbed in.
12mm braided line from the tank to the filter (red thing in the picture).  12mm line to the Sytec fuel pump inlet, followed by 8mm braided line to the solid fuel line:

The return line is 8mm braided stepping down to 6mm connected to the tank (using the original supply position as the return).  The breather (from the tank neck) to the solid line which goes to the charcoal canniter is brake line connected each end with rubber fuel injection hose.  All hoses are connected to either the shell or the fuel pump mount with no more than 12" between fixings.  This will hopefully satisfy the IVA man when the time comes.  The one area I have a slight concern about is where the braided line (from the tank to the filter) squeezes between the shell and the rear subframe.  If they deciede this is unacceptable I'll have a real headache finding another route for it.  Oh well, we'll have to see.
Looking forward you can see I've lined the 'transmission' tunnel with Zircoflex too:

I'm getting ahead of myself, but looking at it from underneath it does make me wonder how/where I'm going to be able to mount the exhaust.
Having done this I've lowered the car back onto two wheels and had a tidy up of the garage.  I did think after I'd started this perhaps I should've run in the battery cables front to rear in the channel provided, but too late - the cars down now.
While I think about this, whats the norm for gathering all the earths together, for connecting to the battery neg?  There are quite a few for the rear lights, I'v got a note to earth the tank too, there are a good amount emerging from under the dash and there'll be some from the engine bay too.  That's a lot of wire's to identify and find a way back to the rear of the car!  (Of course I just love electrics so am looking forward to this particular challenge   )
This is the space I have at the rear of the garage now I've moved things around:

The MPi engine is under the dust blue sheet, but does this look like a big enough area to strip and build the engine (not something I've ever done before in it's entirety)?  I'll need to tidy the bench obviously - strange how things seem to gather there  .

Last modified October 13th, 2012, 13:06:52 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 191 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: November 19th, 2012, 20:50:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Got the free form headlights fitted:

This picture doesn't show it too well, but they look really good - a nice clean design.
I've also received the silicon bottom hose (Only £65 from China in the end), a new header tank and some odds and sod.
I've decided to run the electric cables (from/to the battery) through the interior so am working on that at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 192 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: December 15th, 2012, 20:22:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Okay - so others have been making me feel guilty with some of the good progress they've been making so with the weather being milder today I got out into the garage for a couple of hours.
Now I had been deliberating over front indicators but when I bought something from CBS recently they were advertising a combined DRL and LED indicator units.  I like the thought of DRL's (they do help new cars be noticed) so thought I'd give them a try.  This is the result:

Hmm - not sure I like them at all!  When I bought them I did ask if they'd take them back if they weren't to my liking.  If they were more... orange, or perhaps a smoked chrome effect  .
As all the options I've seen seem to be an 85mm fitting and 95mm in overall diameter I continued to offer one up:

Seen like that it doesn't look quite as offensive.  Do they work with the free-form headlights?  Or are they just too much 'bling'?
So, what the general consensus - honest opinions only!

ETA - you can also just see where I've taped the electric cables together, to run the length of the body.  These'll be going through the interior I think, entering the engine compartment in the vicinity of the bulkhead somewhere.

Last modified December 15th, 2012, 20:26:08 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 193 - 517
admin
Posted on: December 15th, 2012, 21:07:19 Quote Report to Moderator

I think they'll look alright. You won't normally see the indicators from such a low angle.

I was tempted to do something like this on my "other" Mini Marcos ...

but I've stuck to putting the indicators on the outside and using the original indicator panels for the heater air intake on the right and electric horn on the left.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 194 - 517
Pages: « ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules