Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (35 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 27,043 views)
Peter Bremner
Posted on: October 12th, 2010, 21:31:13 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I'm with Neil on the spindles, except don't you mean at 90 degrees to the windscreen? I've a single Metro wiper, again at 90 degrees to the screen. Do the spacer grommets need turning round a bit?

All my white dust, and the rest of the garage, is now a delicate shade of pale blue!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 599
admin
Posted on: October 12th, 2010, 23:09:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Yes the wiper spindles should be leaning forwards but not as much as on the tin Mini, so the spacers need to be filed down a bit to reduce the angle.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 31 - 599
Neil KilBane
Posted on: October 13th, 2010, 08:08:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Thanks for that Peter, brain fuzz I'm afraid. I should have put 90deg.

As Richard has said you need to cut/file the spacers to get the angle right, it takes a bit of trial and error, so it's good if you have a few spare.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 13th, 2010, 11:13:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Totally agree with the spindle comments!  I thought that as soon as I uploaded the picture - it looks more obvious in the picture than when I was actually at the car (I fitted it a month or so ago).
However, I'm pretty sure I'll have to file out the holes in the bodywork, not just alter the spacers - the spindles are quite a snug fit in the holes if I remember correctly.  And I've got an idea about modifying the actual wiper arms too (not to get around this problem I should add!).

How does the saying go - one step forward..........  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 33 - 599
Lee Pashley
Posted on: October 13th, 2010, 18:24:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I made up a new fuel line for mine, but only had 1 (carb engine) .Might be a bit tight to get the 3 fuel lines & the brake line up the chanel in the body.I fixed my fuel pipes with P clips held on with rivnuts into the body & hex drive bolts, they need to be fixed every 30 cm for the IVA.I used normal flexible fuel hose from my local motor factor(just made sure it marked as fuel hose ,for the IVA).For your fuel pump try a vauxhall artraGTE ,caviler SRI or nova GTE they had external fuel pump with filter & pressure reg , monted as one unit at the back of the car, might be a bit difficult to find one has most of them rusted away year s ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: November 2nd, 2010, 11:36:23 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Right!  I got a couple of hours on the car this weekend and managed to get the car re-mounted on the workbenches, which has allowed me to offer up the fuel lines.

Lee, you're right - they won't fit in the channel in the floorpan.  But what it looks like I will be able to do is put them up against the bulkhead (as per the MPi, between the bulkhead and the steering rack (I'll have to watch for rubbing on the rack gaiter.  How will this affect IVA/reliability of the gaiter ) - it's handy having an MPi to compare/contrast) and then by mounting them at an angle, I'll be able to make use of the angled channel at the front of the rear subframe position.  This is about the position I'll have to rebend and cut the pipes and use reinforced, flexible piping to the pump/filter/tank.  I'll probably have to modify the pipe work where it ends at the bulkhead too - it looks to sit higher up the body crossmember (that the tower bolts mount to) than on the mini for some reason.  I'll put a picture up of all this when I'm next up home.
As for mounting the pipes (every 30cm maximum, as mentioned), I've got the MPi plastic mounts, which I'm looking to modify to take (zinc coated) nuts, bolts and penny washers.  But in order to try and ensure a water tight seal can I use a silicon (bathroom?) sealant - any suggestions?
And does anyone know where I can get a selection of olives from (not Tesco/asda/Morrisons  ) to sweat onto the end of the cut pipes?

Next question is about mounting the OSF (RHD!) damper upper mount.  The passenger side mount had been fitted by Acespeed.  On the 'inner wing' at the end of the bulkhead crossmember there is a horizontally mounted 2" by 1/2" plate bonded in, which has a threaded hole at each end (I'm hoping you can picture this, Lee, if not anyone else!).  What Acespeed has done is drill through one of these threaded holes and used that as a mounting hole (and then used this as the template for drilling the other three holes - does that make sense?).  Now I could do that for the drivers side, but is there any way of knowing that this is the correct position?  And is there likely to be much variation of the plate position in the 'inner wing' from left side to right?  Basically, how do I know that the upper damper mount if fitted in the correct place, and how do I get the other side in the same position - why didn't I just say that in the first place
While I think about the damper mount, Acespeed reinforced the lower screw positions with a small metal plate.  Seems sensible - there is only a relatively thin piece of (flexible) GRP there otherwise, so I'll look to do the same, but where do you get a sheet of steel from (didn't used to be a problem getting small offcuts when I used to get my hands dirty   but I've tryed Googling sheet metal suppliers/ metal workers etc etc but only seem to find scrap metal merchants or fancy garden gate manufacturers!

Lee, I think we must have different bowls for the headlights - both my inner wings will need cutting.  Did you say you used Rivnuts to hold these in or pop-rivets?

Last question (for now) - is it okay to use Acetone on the paintwork?  Where the fuel cap fits, Acespeed must've glued on a foam backing which has then partially come off when the caps been removed.  I want to clean this off before refitting another cap.

Phew - need a cup of tea now!  Oh, and aren't orange cars becoming common all of a sudden:
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/254020/hamilton_and_button_drive_new_mclaren_at_goodwood.html#
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 35 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: November 2nd, 2010, 14:59:34 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

And if anyone can find a 3"/75mm LED stop/tail and indicator light set, let me know!

Last modified November 2nd, 2010, 14:59:51 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 36 - 599
Stuart
Posted on: November 2nd, 2010, 15:23:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Graham Bichard, posted November 2nd, 2010, 14:59:34 at here
And if anyone can find a 3"/75mm LED stop/tail and indicator light set, let me know!

That's a tricky one, we're close, guessing you will already have seen these

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/95mm-led-stop-tail-and-indicator-pair-rl40-3814-p.asp

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 37 - 599
admin
Posted on: November 2nd, 2010, 23:13:24 Quote Report to Moderator

Also try
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod/Led-rearlight.html
85mm, but getting closer.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 38 - 599
Stuart
Posted on: November 3rd, 2010, 08:38:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

80 mm but not LED, alhough I think normal lights will be more in keeping with a Mini Marcos

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod/hella-small-stoptail.html
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 599
Stuart
Posted on: November 3rd, 2010, 08:41:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from admin, posted November 2nd, 2010, 23:13:24 at here
Also try
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod/Led-rearlight.html
85mm, but getting closer.

But 140 mm dia

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 40 - 599
Rodger Howard
Posted on: November 3rd, 2010, 08:42:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Don't use acetone on paintwork, use prepsol.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 41 - 599
admin
Posted on: November 3rd, 2010, 11:23:53 Quote Report to Moderator

Quoted from Stuart, posted November 3rd, 2010, 08:41:07 at here

But 140 mm dia

True. There are some other possibilities here:
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/lights_rear.html
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 42 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: November 3rd, 2010, 15:34:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I should add, the reason I'm after 3" lights is, Acespeed had fitted the 70mm Land Rover type (ish) rounded lights ( http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod/land-rover-lights.html - like these).  I had seen some 95mm LED type lights that I'd liked, but when putting a couple of 95mm discs on the rear panel centred on the holes as cut, they didn't look 'right' - it was possible to fit them in by re-centreing the holes (and there by not having to fill/respray the rear panel).
But when I stood back and looked at the panel, the position of the lights looked 'right' (that word again!), so I'm quite keen to retain the original hole positions if possible.
And while the lights don't have to be LED, I do like the look of these (along with the brightness, low power consumption and longevity) and want to have a flat lens look.  I've also looked at the possibility of fitting LED bulbs, but its the 3"/75mm bulb holder/lens which looks to be the problem.  (I'm now looking at Chinese/American websites advertising truck marker lights - you can get some good deals if you order a minimum of 200  )

ETA Rodger, where can I get ahold of Prepsol then?

Last modified November 3rd, 2010, 15:37:08 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 43 - 599
Stuart
Posted on: November 4th, 2010, 15:16:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I'd not realised you wanted 3 seperate lights either side. If you could mount these so just the lens protrudes through the body with a seal around, you could even angle them so they are in a vertical position too.

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod/U-Bright_inners.html
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 44 - 599
Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules