Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  seatbelt points.....?
0 Members Browsing (45 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    seatbelt points.....?  (currently 596 views)
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: July 31st, 2011, 15:35:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ok ive noticed i have no where to mount any seatbelts.... im guesing my mkq didnt require them, but i would like to fit some, and am thinking about harnesses, where are the later models belts atached??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chris_Shackleton
Posted on: August 1st, 2011, 10:50:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi Glenn,
Will have a look at my MK4 tonight, I think it has mountings built in.

Depends if you want to fit 3 point seatbelts or harnesses.
If its 3 point inertia reel seatbelts then I would make strengthened points on the B pillar at shoulder height (if there is enough 'meat' there), at the base and opposite on the raised transmission tunnel. I would do this with steel plates bonded in and then use harness mounting plates (you can get from Demon Tweeks) that you bolt onto.

A 4 (or 6) point herness is probably a better coice on an early car as the B pillar isnt that wide (someone will correct me if I am wrong - not recently familiar with the earlier cars). Make the lower mountings at B pillar base & in middle, then put spreader plates in the back, not too close to the seat - the belt should be closer to horizontal than vertical. Use the harness mounting plates and an eye bolt to clip the harness to it.

Hope this helps
Chris

8158 (MK4) to restore
Caterham 7 to repair
I've broken my toys!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Simon Robinson
Posted on: August 1st, 2011, 10:53:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Glenn - my D&H Mk4 has the reel mounted on the wheel arches, and the "tail end" on a steel plate bolted through the floor next to the seat runners. As Chris said, it all depends on what you plan to fit, and that depends on what you're planning to do with it?

D&H Mk IV 8313, KGV 215V (aka George) - 75,000 miles and counting since restoration in 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
admin
Posted on: August 1st, 2011, 13:23:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

You choose your own attachment points - they were never predrilled or reinforced. It depends on what type of belt or harness you are fitting, on whether you have a roll cage and on where you are placing the seats.

If you are fitting a roll cage then the rear harness mounts are usually provided on a horizontal bar at the back. For three point belts the rear fixing should be on top of the wheel arch with a steel plate underneath. The lower mountings can go on the sills below the box section and on the inside of the tunnel, also with steel plates behind to spread the load.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: August 1st, 2011, 19:20:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

ok thanks guys for the replies, i was looking at roll cages last night but didnt come up with much.... where can you get them or is it goingto be a custom jobby??
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
admin
Posted on: August 1st, 2011, 21:14:45 Quote Report to Moderator

You can't buy them off the shelf but at least three companies can make roll cages. Marcos Heritage Spares will refer you to a company called Caged, or you can go to Safety Devices or Rollcentre.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: August 2nd, 2011, 10:31:05 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ok, has anyone on here got one fitted? Would love to see how they look?
And while im asking about interior pics, is there any floating about of the standard mk1 interior? Or even the le mans ones insides??? Mine is pretty bare as the carpets have gone mouldy!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Allan Brown
Posted on: August 2nd, 2011, 12:42:33 Quote Report to Moderator

Peter Bremner has a caged (Marcos Heritage) cage fitted to his car.
See here: http://minimarcos.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b=MM,m=1300734715
I fitted a rollcentre cage in mine.
Where do you live? Peter is in Essex and I am in West Sussex.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
jimnaylor
Posted on: August 2nd, 2011, 16:29:44 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I've a rollcentre full cage in mine, but it was custom made and fitted rather than the diy kit that they sell off the shelf. There's a lot of work fitting the kit, according to the people that have done it but the alternative is a lot of 's in having one custom made and fitted. I didn't have a choice when I did mine back in '92 as no one did one off the shelf then, and mine was the 1st mini marcos that the roll centre had ever made a cage for. It's actually about to go back to the roll centre in a couple of weeks for some of modifications that I want. Even after 19 years they remember it well as it's the smallest car they have ever fitted a full cage to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules