Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Ram Mini Marcos restoration project
0 Members Browsing (42 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Ram Mini Marcos restoration project  (currently 917 views)
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: September 17th, 2011, 13:57:23 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Well i thought i would update you all with some pictures of the progress we have made with the mk 1,

I am missing some pictures which i believe to be on the other camera, so will have to add them at a later date.

well here is the car how i found it,

after quite a few hours digging space around it and macking ramps to get it up the curb you cant quite see, we managed to drag it out with my 4x4

(thats Ash behind it)

and then get it loaded up...

We got it home and got it off the trailer

So after that we gave it a good look over trying to find any kind of vin number, (as you may all remember)
there was no such luck!
we spent a day removing the engine and front subframe

and spent some more time removing the steering rack and some of the guages,

now the car has no interior, apart from the seats, which ive not yet got a pic of, but i do believe they are origonal, and in very nice condition, so we are going to give them a wipe down and use them.

im strugleing to find many pics of a standard mk1 interior, or even better would be a pic of the le mans racing ones interior.

but anyway, im now rebuilding the new 1275 engine as i think the 850 we took out has had it, it had twin 1 1/4 inch zenith stromburg carbs wich we will re-use, and a 3-1 mani which is also going back on, heres how that now looks;

today we freed up the rear subframe,

just got to lift the back end a touch more to drag it out, i can already tell that the rear subframe will need replacing, but i was half expecting that anyway!

just got to get the brake and clutch pedle asemblies removed and a bit of the loom and the shell will be ready for spraying.

we are both very undecided on colour, i like black, he likes off white, but at the same time we want to do it in a colour that it would have been available in at the time it was new, but are unsure of what they could have been, any help with that??

anyway im sure ive posted way too many pics! but thought i would share some of them with you guys!

thanks for getting this far!

Logged Offline
Private Message
dalla
Posted on: September 17th, 2011, 14:18:22 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Cool project mate. Is it going back to 100% original? If so that is going to be very very cool. Hats of for that.
Just a quick question, is there wood bonded in behind you dashboard?

Mini Marcos Mk.II 7012
Dennis Overgaard Nielsen
Denmark
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: September 17th, 2011, 15:32:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

no im pretty sure it doesnt,

not 100% sure weather it will be compleatly origonal, but close to it, we definatly want to keep it origonal style. and in keeping with 60's race cars.
just not keen on the sky blue the le mans one was painted in.... just need to find out what the other colours were??
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
dalla
Posted on: September 19th, 2011, 11:24:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Yeah a lot of cars have been painted that colour. I saw a pic of a red one with black wheels not so long ago. That looked stunning, was thinking about painting mine that colour, but i think it is staying its blue colour.

Mini Marcos Mk.II 7012
Dennis Overgaard Nielsen
Denmark
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: September 21st, 2011, 02:01:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Great project Glenn,
                            really good to see an early car that has not been messed about. Looks like a trick gearshift in one of the pics and the origianl dash is fantastic.....as for colour it has obviously been red all or most of its life so why not keep it red!.

look forward to seeing more pics and progress posted here.

phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: September 21st, 2011, 19:37:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hmmm can you tell me more about the gear stick?? What is yours like?
I saw the same linkage for sale at a mini show, didnt ask how much as im pretty sure mine is servicable!

Have you got pics of yours? Because the 1275 i have to fit has a different gear box to the od 850, so we are thinking about swapping the box's! But if there is another option i would love to see it!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Neil KilBane
Posted on: September 22nd, 2011, 00:51:52 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

It's an SPQR gearstick conversion for the magic wand .

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Glenn_Merrigan
Posted on: September 23rd, 2011, 20:59:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Quoted from Neil KilBane, posted September 22nd, 2011, 00:51:52 at here
It's an SPQR gearstick conversion for the magic wand .

So is that a normal stick for the mk1??
im reading more and more about mini linkages, and a friend has said later minis (after the magic wand) had a adapter linkage thing, do any of the marcos's have this set up? because im worried two many adapters wont let me select a gear..........
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules