Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >   MM 7056 restoration, member from Downunder
0 Members Browsing (53 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    MM 7056 restoration, member from Downunder  (currently 7,571 views)
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: December 23rd, 2012, 22:53:22 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

G'day all,
I bought myself an early Christmas present this year in the form of this little Mini Marcos GT. The previous owners were Matt Read and his father Jack from Brisbane, Queensland but its now living in a much more temperate climate 2000km south, in Gippsland Victoria.
Plans are to strip it right down and begin a full restoration from the bare shell. I've done the same with my '64 Cooper S and '58 Bugeye Sprite, so I have a fair idea of what I've got myself into  
No doubt I'll be needing plenty of advice though. As far as I'm aware, there are only 5 Mini Marcos cars in Australia, so I look forward to making some new friends and contacts through this forum.

Steve (MM 7056) Downunder
http://www.mm7056.wordpress.com

Last modified January 28th, 2014, 03:43:59 by Steve_Schmidt
Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: December 24th, 2012, 18:11:48 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

Could you confirm that your car is this one from the gallery
http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/memcars/beige.html

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 165
admin
Posted on: December 24th, 2012, 21:37:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

It does look mighty similar! The old pic we had from Matt Read made the car look a lot yellower.

Steve has thrown a bit more light on the Australian Mini Marcoses. It seems that 7056 and 7057 were imported together by Competition Cars Aust. in Sydney and they didn't actually manufacture any shells themselves. Fortunately both cars are still around.

We know of a Marcos Ireland car in Oz, so what and where are the other two?

Last modified December 24th, 2012, 21:42:39 by admin
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 2 - 165
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: December 25th, 2012, 09:22:41 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Quoted from Neil KilBane, posted December 24th, 2012, 18:11:48 at here

Could you confirm that your car is this one from the gallery
http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/memcars/beige.html

It certainly looks like the same car, it even has the bonnet pins in the same place; but I can't place any of the people or the location.

Quoted from admin, posted December 24th, 2012, 21:37:40 at here

We know of a Marcos Ireland car in Oz, so what and where are the other two?

I know of one other car in Melbourne which apparently came from New Zealand; but it's not a going concern and is in need of a thorough rebuild.
I've also been told that as well as MM7057, there's another one in Sydney somewhere; but I don't know anything about it.

Private Message Reply: 3 - 165
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: March 28th, 2013, 10:15:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

On most other cars that I've worked on, it's possible to make a bracket or fabricate a component to fit one side of the car, then use that as a template to make a reverse pattern for the other side.  With the Marcos, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of symmetry between the left and right sides. so trying to fabricate a roll bar is taking a tad longer than expected.
Are all Marcoses like this, or do I have a particulary wonky one?  

Private Message Reply: 4 - 165
Peter Bremner
Posted on: March 28th, 2013, 10:54:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Wonky! Wait till you try to line up the subframes.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 165
admin
Posted on: March 28th, 2013, 14:44:04 Quote Report to Moderator

Quoted from Steve_Schmidt, posted March 28th, 2013, 10:15:38 at here
Are all Marcoses like this, or do I have a particulary wonky one?  

You're learning quickly about Marcoses Steve!
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 6 - 165
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: March 28th, 2013, 21:15:44 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

It's almost as if the measuring devices that were used in the car's construction (if in fact there were any ) were only calibrated down to inches and anything within that range was good enough.
If it wasn't so frustrating, it would be amusing  

Private Message Reply: 7 - 165
admin
Posted on: March 30th, 2013, 10:48:24 Quote Report to Moderator

I think the bucks were made by eye but they had jigs for drilling the subframe mounting points.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 8 - 165
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: May 1st, 2013, 03:46:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Fuel line, brake line and battery cables - is there general consensus about the best way of running these from the back of the car to the front.
The way it was done previously on this MM was via a couple of 1" diameter domestic plastic electrical conduit pipes that ran inside the car, along the top of the centre tunnel -   Rather obtrusive and not very attractive.
I'm thinking that they'd be too exposed running under the car without some sort of protection; but is there room inside the tunnel, especially at the front end with the early remote shift housing in place?
I'm keen to see how others have solved the problem - pictures please  

Private Message Reply: 9 - 165
Neil KilBane
Posted on: May 1st, 2013, 07:51:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

In my MM I ran the battery cable through the drivers side sill and the fuel line through the passengers side sill. I ran the brake lines inside the car along the centre tunnel as I have a break bias valve beside the gearstick.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 165
Brian
Posted on: May 1st, 2013, 15:37:23 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I'd be wary of running the fuel line through the cabin. In the event of an accident, I wouldn't want that to break and dump gasoline near me. Especially if the pump doesn't shut off!

If running it through the cabin, the conduit idea may be the way to go for at least some barrier.

And if you plan to race, check the race organization rules -- at least here, one of the orgs explicitly disallows fuel lines in the passenger cabin, unless you separately build a firewall around it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 165
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: September 15th, 2013, 09:07:36 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I'm still progressing slowly on the Marcos restoration (visit website in signature below for latest update), but was interested to know if the external sill panels, which seem to be very much exposed to stone damage, need some sort of special paint treatment such as 'Chipcoat' which is a hard textured finish, or not. I am intending to paint the car in 2-pack paint, but is there some method of preventing chipped paint that you can use?

Private Message Reply: 12 - 165
James_Beeton
Posted on: September 18th, 2013, 15:01:28 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi,
Looked at the photos and what a great job ....  question, do you have dimensions of ther roll cage and how on earth did you get it into the car?? I would like to fit one in my MK1V but dont know where to start....regards James
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 165
Brian
Posted on: September 18th, 2013, 21:14:53 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

As for fitting it into the car, most of the cage kits come in pre-bent pieces, then you bolt/weld them together inside the car. A few pieces, I think the main hoop, typically are slightly too big to fit through the doorway, so people use ratchet straps to temporarily make the tube a bit narrower.

As for cages, there are a few routes. You can either get a pre-built kit, or have one made by a local roll cage maker.

The pre-built kit is going to come from one of a couple places in the UK. The ones I know of are "Rollcentre", and "Caged". Marcos heritage resells the ones from "Caged" (so I've been told by another member here). There might be a third place that's making them, but I forget now. There were a few rollcage topics here in the last several months, one may have been in my long mk6 build thread.

A local roll cage fabricator can generally make a cage, too. If you live outside of the UK, this is likely to be a cheaper option than having a kit shipped to you. Also, a local cage can be tailored to your needs -- for example, the UK kits aren't certified for the specifications for US racing organizations, so would not be useful in my case, if I decide to race the thing. Also, I personally feel that a welded together cage, if done well, is safer than a bolted together cage, and most of the kits are bolt-in. (Caged can prepare a weld or bolt together cage, though, I believe).

Either way, you should go to a local respected roll cage installer. Whether you buy a kit or have one built, it will need to be installed by someone who knows what they're doing. Get a price quote for installing a kit, versus having them make one themselves. Also, contact rollcentre/caged/marcos heritage for a price on the kit.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 165
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules