Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Pedal Box
0 Members Browsing (37 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Pedal Box  (currently 684 views)
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: August 19th, 2013, 15:59:51
Attachment: rsz_2photo.jpg - 99.35 KB (774 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Just a quick question if I may.  My car was lucky enough to come with two pedal boxes!  They are slightly different in design, and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me which one should be used or which one would be best to use please, so I can go about refurbishing it.

Many thanks

Andy

Logged Offline
Private Message
Brian
Posted on: August 19th, 2013, 17:15:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

The lower one looks to have a bigger opening for the brake master cylinder. If so, then see which one your m/c fits in properly?

I believe there's one that was used through the mid 70s (76?), a different one from then until the mpi/spi which had a servo, then a servo box.

Each has lhd/rhd options which will alter the angles of the pedals. I'm not sure how to check for that, and I've heard of people doing lhd/rhd conversion just by bending the pedals to proper shape (and others saying never to do that).

But my understanding is that the one thing is to make sure it mates to your master cylinder. It should be pretty clear from there.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
Brian
Posted on: August 19th, 2013, 17:18:28 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

For what it's worth, the upper one (with the 3 holes) looks like the one I'm using, which I'm mating to a late brake master cylinder -- dual circuit, fluid sender in the cap the newest one that isn't servo. The pair I have seems to line up reasonably.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
Gary Marlow
Posted on: August 19th, 2013, 19:17:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

They both look mini to me. The top one looks like its from an earlier car, maybe a Mk1 or Mk2, due to the square shaped pedal, the lower one from a later car, (mid '70's onwards is a later car for me!) due to the different pedal shape. Have a look at either the side or the bottom of the brake pedal, if there is a small dash of yellow paint then the top pedal box is from a later cooper or S, possibly an early 1275GT. For the bottom one if there is a dash of yellow paint on the side of the brake pedal its from a 1275GT of the mid-late 70's. However not sure if there is much paint left on the pedal arms from the photos so may be difficult to tell.

The yellow mark was meant to indicate a slightly thicker gauge of steel for the arm but to be honest I have never compared one against the other.

Hope it's of some help?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Brian
Posted on: August 22nd, 2013, 03:03:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Just had a peek at mine. It actually does look just like the lower of those (minus a bit of rust ).

The hexagonal pedal, and bigger hole for brake master cylinder.

Just check that your master cylinder fits in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: August 22nd, 2013, 17:03:40
Attachment: pbox.jpg - 28.81 KB (700 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Thanks for the assistance, after checking the master cylinders (I had three of these with the car!) I have gone with the bigger one, and refurbished the lower pedal box, which coincidentally did have a few dashes of yellow paint ;

Thanks

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Heinrich_Lux
Posted on: October 6th, 2013, 21:08:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I´ve got the one you refurbished which should be someway through the 70s.

BUT the slot (the one closed with holes on the top one) has a steel plate welded in where it had been additionaly bolted to the body. Is that actually necessary or can I just use a refurbished one I still got in the garage without this extra mounting point?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules