Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Piping routes
0 Members Browsing (40 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Piping routes  (currently 803 views)
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: April 22nd, 2014, 09:56:59 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi all,
I have just about finished the bodywork repairs on my 1969 MM.  Before spraying I am looking at drilling the holes for securing both the fuel line and brake lines.  When I purchased the project there were none and there was also no exhaust, so I am in the blind somewhat as to the exact route they go and where the exhaust fixings will then have to go.  Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with some 'underneath' pictures of cars / brake /fuel line placements please?
Thanks again for all if your help,
Andy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: April 25th, 2014, 11:17:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Any info gratefully received folks?! I can guess the brake and fuel lines to a certain extent (run down the passenger side of the central recess), but have no idea how / where the exhaust is to be fixed underneath.

Cheers
Andy
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: April 25th, 2014, 12:37:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Having just been through this myself Andy, I can tell what I have done - I'm not sure how Marcos envisaged it being done, I guess everybody had their own ideas.
The previous owner of my car ran power and earth cables, brake line and fuel line in a pair of plastic conduits attached to the top of the central tunnel inside the car. They ran one either side of the handbrake lever. I felt that it was rather cumbersome and untidy, so I ran my power and earth cables through the drivers-side sill cavity with the brake and fuel lines through the passenger-side sill. It was very fiddly feeding them through, but it is a tidy way of dealing with the problem.
As for the exhaust, I'm not up to that yet, but having thought about it a fair bit, I'm just going to fit some sort of strap or rubber mount to the front and back cross-members of the rear subframe to support an oval muffler with a single 2" inlet and twin pipe outlets running under the fuel tank in the centre of the car. Unfortunately I've found that the standard  mini exhaust mount that bolts to the front cross-member of the rear subframe won't fit my Marcos because the spare wheel well is too close to it.  

This picture shows where the brake and fuel lines enter the sill cavity-

This is where they come out and run up under the dash and through the firewall -

Here's where the Earth, Power and rear loom wires enter the drivers-side sill cavity -

They then run up the inside of the A-pillar and terminate at the dashboard where there is a battery isolation switch and an angle-iron dash support rail that makes a nice Earthing point.

.... and this is how they were located in the car originally -

Steve (MM 7056) Downunder
http://www.mm7056.wordpress.com
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: April 25th, 2014, 13:25:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Perfect, thanks very much for this Steve.
Much neater method of running the lines, I am not too keen on the original central tunnel idea !

I am also a big fan of your choice of rear lights, you wouldn't happen to know anywhere I could get a similar pair do you? I think they fit the rear of your car perfectly.

Thanks again,
Andy  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Steve_Schmidt
Posted on: April 25th, 2014, 20:12:22 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Quoted from Andy_Bullock, posted April 25th, 2014, 13:25:02 at here

......... I am also a big fan of your choice of rear lights, you wouldn't happen to know anywhere I could get a similar pair do you? I think they fit the rear of your car perfectly.
Thanks again,
Andy  

The tail lights are from a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe circa 1967-1970.
They sometimes pop up on Ebay like these ones:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/fia.....;hash=item3a8ebdf566

Steve (MM 7056) Downunder
http://www.mm7056.wordpress.com
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules