Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  7012 is slowly comming allive again
0 Members Browsing (40 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    7012 is slowly comming allive again  (currently 2,679 views)
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: May 30th, 2015, 18:25:07
Attachment: p8100926.jpg - 139.47 KB (3102 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

Hi all

Let me present the car, it is  serial 7012 previous owned by Dennis until September 2013 when he sold it to us. By us I mean two school kids with a common dream of racing together. Well we have been out of school for 40 years now so it is time to realize our project!

My friend is Henrik Kjaer 61 and he has been at all Le Mans since 1972
and myself Joergen Rasmussen 62 and a little less Le Mans visits.

Dennis did dismantle the whole car into pieces as you properly have seen earlier and also started rebuilding the fibreglass but realized he didn't had the time to finish the project so he sold it.

So what are we going to do with it? The plan is to make a number 50 replica and race it. Obviously it has to be "a sort of" replica as it is a mk3 not mk1

Most of the fibreglass work is now finished with a Gurney bubble. Henrik is 1.94m so the car is a bit tight for him but with the floor is lowered and a bubble? Lets wait and see.

I have heaps of photos for later use where I will try to describe the work further.

Then a question. Did all 50 cars from homologation certificate go racing or was it only a few?

Best regards Joergen

7012 owners Henrik and Joergen

Logged Offline
Private Message
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 20th, 2015, 21:46:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

As you can see in the previous picture a 1m94 person is a challenge in a Mini Marcos! We have handled this by lowering the floor by 5 cm in the back end of the seat. This gives the 5 cm of course but also a few cm from leaning back. This gives room for daily use but for racing with a helmet we also added a Guerny Bubble.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 55
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 20th, 2015, 21:47:53
Attachment: p7200110.jpg - 146.94 KB (3013 views)
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

As you can see in the previous picture a 1m94 person is a challenge in a Mini Marcos! We have handled this by lowering the floor by 5 cm in the back end of the seat. This gives the 5 cm of course but also a few cm from leaning back. This gives room for daily use but for racing with a helmet we also added a Guerny Bubble.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 55
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 21st, 2015, 12:56:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Looking good, I look forward to seeing pictures of it completed and racing.

Just noticed nobody replied to your May question. All Mk 3's are homologated (if they are built to the spec of the homologation papers) The 50 number was a minimum number to be built within a year inorder to qualify the Mk3 for Homologation. i.e. if only 49 had been built within a year no cars would be homologated, over 50 and all are homologated, even ones built earlier (as to 50 genuinely being built within a year, that is another story!).

All a bit academic at the moment as the homologation is no longer current for modern competition and for historic I don't know of any competition that requires cars to be homologated, exact rules vary but basicaly they just need to be in period, with in period mods.

To run in a homologated class in any erea required the car to exactly match the homologation papers, engine size, carbs, brakes etc, even the body shape and height. So your very nice Gurney bubble would almost certainly prevent it being classed as homologated, but now it doesn't matter.

Jim
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 55
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 14:51:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Just out of interest I looked up the the mini marcos in the FIA list of previously homologated cars.

http://www.fia.com/file/2143/download?token=rEuyOfLN

Both the Mk1 and Mk3 are listed, the Mk1 in the GT class at 997cc and the Mk3 in class 4 at 1275cc

Re reading my previous post part might not have been the clearest. When I wrote "I don't know of any competition that requires cars to be homologated", I mean't I don't know of any competition that requires cars to be run to the full homologated specification, quite a few do require that the model has been previously homologated, but most mods, so long as they can be proved to be in period, are ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 55
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 16:05:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Done some more digging and seems I was wrong, in the UK things are a bit more relaxed for Historics if mods can be proved, but for FIA events running to homolpgation specs seem very fixed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 55
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 20:22:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

Thank You Jim

What I was thinking about the "homologation" cars was the factory had to build 50 equal cars. Then the national motorsports organisation should verify they had seen all the cars and all cars where exactly up to specifications. The homologation papers describing the cars technically could then be stamped as an official paper making the cars race eligible.

Did those 50 factory manufactured cars go to rally, race or did customers by the cars for the street as an one off chance to avoid building it them self? Any clues?

The car is going to be used for Danish circuit racing and a few international endurance races. We are two owners so endurance race with driver change is an obvious choice! Homologation goes for group 4 witch is modified sports cars so on top of homologation specification a number of modifications are allowed and that is what we are going for.

By the way, the homologation certificate is very strange because it is almost empty with specifications. Never seen that before!

And yes Jim, aerodynamic enhancements are certainly not allowed but I think our bubble is ok.

Joergen

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 55
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 20:38:33
Attachment: p7210113a.jpg - 145.70 KB (2955 views)
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

A few photos showing modification to the bottom with seat reinforcements and eyebolts for harness.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 55
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 20:39:12
Attachment: p7210116a.jpg - 144.72 KB (2954 views)
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

and

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 55
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 20:40:06
Attachment: p7210119a.jpg - 123.74 KB (2951 views)
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

and how do I add more photos in one post?

Joergen

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 55
admin
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 21:23:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Quoted from jimnaylor, posted July 22nd, 2015, 14:51:04 at here
Just out of interest I looked up the the mini marcos in the FIA list of previously homologated cars.

http://www.fia.com/file/2143/download?token=rEuyOfLN

Both the Mk1 and Mk3 are listed, the Mk1 in the GT class at 997cc and the Mk3 in class 4 at 1275cc.

Eh? I can only see "Mini Marcos 1300 GT" which is the one we have a copy of. The Marcos GT is the Luton Gullwing with a Ford 105E engine unless I'm very much mistaken. I don't think the Mini Marcos Mk.I was homologated.

Richard

Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 10 - 55
admin
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 21:29:27 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Quoted from Henrik and Joergen, posted July 22nd, 2015, 20:40:06 at here
and how do I add more photos in one post?

Joergen

Sorry, if you want to upload photos it's one per post and not more than 150kB. That's because the forum doesn't resize images and I don't want 300dpi camera images displayed at 90dpi. There's no problem in having multiple posts but you do have to include some text.

The alternative is to put them somewhere else and include an img tag or equivalent Blah code in your post, then you can have as many as you want.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 11 - 55
Henrik and Joergen
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 21:34:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Henrik and Joergen

Correct Richard

Only MM homologated was mk3. The Le Mans cars did compete in group 5 as sportscar prototypes with no restrictions nor produced number restriction.

Joergen

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 55
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 22:31:17 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Not my day for getting things right!. I'd forgotten all about the gull wing, so assumed a mk1.... the date should have been a give away...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 55
Brian
Posted on: July 23rd, 2015, 01:38:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from admin, posted July 22nd, 2015, 21:29:27 at here

Sorry, if you want to upload photos it's one per post and not more than 150kB. That's because the forum doesn't resize images and I don't want 300dpi camera images displayed at 90dpi. There's no problem in having multiple posts but you do have to include some text.

The alternative is to put them somewhere else and include an img tag or equivalent Blah code in your post, then you can have as many as you want.

I found recently that in flickr photo gallery, if you click share, and share as bbcode, the tags work perfectly and nicely to just paste the text into here.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 55
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules