Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Engine Bay Dimensions
0 Members Browsing (38 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Engine Bay Dimensions  (currently 628 views)
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 20:20:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you would be able to give me dimensions of the engine bay with pictures if possible?

Regards
Alex
Logged Offline
Private Message
Brian
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 20:38:05 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Do you have any specific areas you want measured?

Are you trying to see if something specific would fit?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 20:50:14 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I am planning on putting a b series 1.8 vtec turbo conversion in the car, but i have been taking a lot of time to plan everything and forgot about the size of the engine and subframe! So i need to see if it would fit without too much hassle

Alex
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
Stuart
Posted on: July 16th, 2015, 08:03:08 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

sounds complicated.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Brian
Posted on: July 16th, 2015, 23:19:54 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

My understanding is that the MM engine bay is nominally similar to that of the standard Mini. So if you go with a process that will fit on a mini, then it may fit on the MM.

A few places that may be different: I suspect that the bonnet height is a bit lower. So you may be putting a bonnet bump in. Also, as in stuart's picture, he has some space behind the cross member for his air cleaner -- my mk6 didn't have that cut out, and i had to do a hole in the firewall to get an air cleaner in there. Granted, I also had a weber 45 with a taller air cleaner.

Also, note that the inner wings and the front panel would be easy to cut out. So you may be able to get a touch more room there.

If I were doing a conversion like that, I'd probably look at making the car into a removable nose, for access. However, you do lose a bit of structural soundness.

And as for the honda conversion...it's a very light car, and a lot of power. Even in the stock minis that have done that conversion, it's quite common for a person to finish the conversion, drive it for 6 months, and then decide that it's undriveable, and sell it at a large loss. I'd probably look hard at least at doing an AWD conversion at the same time; add a bit of weight to the rear, and divide the power out a little bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 18th, 2015, 20:49:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I must admit, once (if!) I get my car on the road I have thought what I could do with the 2 spare front subframes I've got.  Spurred on by the engine conversions the Midas boys are doing (and the thought I have that for more Mk6 to be made that a more modern engine would be needed) I wondered what alternatives there could be.
Nissan Micra seems good, but engine height could be a problem as Brian says.
Ford 1 litre three pot would be good - 125bhp out of the box.
Honda would be great though Alex, if you can make it fit!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 22nd, 2015, 11:00:23 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Drive it as much as possible!

To fit the engine there will be some serieus modifying needed. The modern engines tend to have the gearbox places to the rear/side of the engine, this makes it wider. This gives you not a real problem unless you have to cut the subframe sides, because it holds your suspension at the same time.

I run a mini engine with twin Hs6 carbs, bias adjustable pedal box, oil cooler in the engine bay. It's really full. With enough time you could do it for sure. Maybe you have to wait till KAD have there aluminium a series engine finished? They are nearly done with the tooling so they can cast them.

Regards,

Joost
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 6 - 6
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules