Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Yippeeee I've got myself a MkIV
0 Members Browsing (43 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4 : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Yippeeee I've got myself a MkIV  (currently 2,797 views)
Neil KilBane
Posted on: May 23rd, 2013, 21:07:25 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

I spent ages modifying the clutch pedal to take the cable, I wanted it to go straight out through the bulkhead rather than down. Then after all the work I decided that I'll probably go with a slave cylinder and hydraulic system.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 45 - 50
Craig Smith
Posted on: May 23rd, 2013, 21:45:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Neil, got to say that the pedal was by far the easiest part of the conversion yet.  I simply cut off the lug that ordinarily pushes, and turned it upside down and welded it onto the other side of the pedal arm (so that it pulls rather than pushes), with a notch cut out to take the cable (where the clevis pin normally goes).  Other than that it was just a case of adding an adjustable 'stop' so that the pedal didn't float and had a firm positon to return to against the spring and sits at the correct height

I did for a moment consider hydraulic, but it seemed far more work, and I can say that the clutch feels really light which is an added bonus
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 46 - 50
Allan Brown
Posted on: May 25th, 2013, 20:59:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

What are you doing with the driveshafts?
Do the Micra shafts fit?
That is one reason why my Suzuki Swift conversion stopped due to having to get custom shafts made.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 47 - 50
Neil KilBane
Posted on: May 26th, 2013, 10:22:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

The Micra splines are identical to the Mini's so it's just a matter of getting them shortened, I got mine cut and sleeved for 100.

One of the guys in the I.M.O.C. has a Swift conversion, he got his drive shafts shortened and tig welded at a local engineering place for 150

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 48 - 50
Craig Smith
Posted on: May 29th, 2013, 04:26:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I have heard that Neil, but I have never offered them up, and I always intended to go with  a "spliced" approach using Nissan inner and standard Mini outer CV's - just because - errm well I didn't think they would fit / work.  

The Nissan outers look huge compared to the Mini, can I really just shorten the drive shafts and thats it??

< Ramble>  Currently working in Dallas, so have absolutely no way of checking for myself for at least two weeks - Now if you want a 5.x v8 - this is the place to be..  In Tx bigger IS better, and my 'Compact' just doesn't cut it
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 49 - 50
Neil KilBane
Posted on: May 29th, 2013, 12:16:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Here are the shafts that I had done.

The hole in the sleeve was slightly undersized and then the sleeve was heated and the two shafts were fitted to give the desired length before being welded. Welds were then cleaned up on a lathe and then the shafts were spun between centres to check for trueness and any imbalance.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 50 - 50
Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4 : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules