Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (3 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 60,862 views)
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 2nd, 2022, 15:07:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Okay, so I've got the throttle cable and speedo cable to fit to the car now, but with the clock's going forward later this month and hopefully some lighter (warmer!) evenings looming, I'm thinking about the cooling fan solution I need to improve the cooling system.
Having established that I need a second 7" fan on the radiator, I'm thinking something like this:
https://www.coolexperts.co.uk/product/universal-7-inch-car-radiator-fan/
(I'll try and dig out the receipt I'll have somewhere, and get exactly the same as the one I have)
But I've been thinking about the wiring of this (I've studied the wiring diagram linked to by Neil).
The concern I have is in trying to use the existing loom wiring, will the likely current draw for two fans be too much for the MPi Mini loom wiring?
I think I've mentioned before I don't mind if both fans operate at the same time (I think Neil, you mentioned that you had a second thermostat for the second fan and a separate switch).
So how should I try to wire this thing in - as mentioned many times before, I'm not a fan of electrics.
Cheers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 570 - 575
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 5th, 2022, 13:44:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

So the new throttle cable wasn't exactly the correct length, despite numerous measurements and drawings to explain what was required. This wasn't unexpected and is absolutely no reflection on Speedy Cables work - the cable is too long by design, rather than too short.
To that end I bought a cable kit, used one of the end fixings to create this:

Obviously I haven't cut/splayed the cable end, simply soldering the end piece in place. This could be a point of weakness - we'll see.
While doing this I fired up the car and allowed it to warm through again (the car hadn't been started for a few weeks). The last time I did start the car, the alternator wasn't charging - it was the same situation today. Another electrical issue to deal with :/ .
But first once the engine's cooled I'll trial the throttle cable and if it works, I'll drive the car onto the ramps and look to fit the speedo cable next.
I've fitted the heat wrap to the new speedo cable. This was also fitted to the old cable but despite this, the cable was routed such that it rested against the manifold and the cable outer was damaged.
The new speedo cable has a longer drive protrusion at the speedo head end which I hope will allow the speedo to work (fingers crossed).

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 571 - 575
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 9th, 2022, 12:55:36 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Gone through my list of receipts and found the exact fan so thought I'd record it here so I don't have to search through it again- bought it from Merlin Motorsport:
https://www.merlinmotorsport.c.....fan-65?pn=RAD-FAN-65
Price has gone up a bit - last one cost 48.

I'm also thinking if wiring a second fan in as a separate circuit, controlled by it's own switch might be the easier option.

Last modified March 9th, 2022, 12:56:39 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 572 - 575
Roger Garland
Posted on: May 9th, 2022, 13:57:09 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hi Graham
I followed the Merlin link - that's quite a small fan, but if it's what you need, ok
Electric fans can be obtained through the owners club, but they are about 9" in diameter
The club fans are the correct size for the club radiator - and they are rather less expensive
I guess a club fan would be too large for the application you have in mind?
Roger
Club Secretary
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 573 - 575
Graham Bichard
Posted on: May 10th, 2022, 13:57:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Roger - yes, a 9" fan is too large for the Fiat Cinq radiator I'm using.  By chance I already had a 9" fan that I've already offered up.
I've now got another fan of the same size/type to fit to the car, and have had it confirmed that the original MPI loom I'm using can handle the current draw if I wire the two fans in series.
So now all I have to do is get it fitted...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 574 - 575
Craig Smith
Posted on: May 11th, 2022, 08:55:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hi Graham,

If you wire the fans in series, they will run at approx half speed.  

I would use the MPI feed to drive a relay and wire the fans in parallel from another 12V feed (probably from the perm live on the solenoid given its proximity).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 575 - 575
Pages: « ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules