Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (46 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 16,035 views)
Olly Lewis
Posted on: February 27th, 2011, 18:23:43 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Also on the radiator front I TIGed up an aluminium number plate bracket which mounts just below the hole in the bottom front panel encouraging more air into/through the radiator and helping reduce the amount of air being directed under the car. This makes the number plate an aero aid!!!!

Although I feel that the amount of performence gain and cooling capability hasn't gone up much if at all!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 60 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 13th, 2011, 13:01:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Right, managed a frustrating couple of hours in the garage this morning.  Got the car on the floor again, so was able to get inside the car again to attack the wiper mech.
The conclusion I've come to is that the holes for the spindles are in the wrong place!  By this I mean, the holes would appear to be slightly to wide apart, given the length of the longer centre tube (covering the 'spring' drive from the motor).  This in itself isn't too much of a problem - I could enlarge the holes inwards slightly to accomodate this (it is only very slightly too narrow), but...
It's the flat metal pieces which clamp the tubes/spindles together which are interfering with the shape of the underside of the scuttle.  I've played around with spare wiper mech that I have (hasn't everyone got a spare one of these, or is it just me?  ), turning the plates the other way around but still they interfere.  So my conclusion is that the holes need to be further down the scuttle panel towards the bonnet.  As it is, the holes are about an inch away from the bonnet shut line:

I'm going to look at the gallery and see if theres a clear picture in there somewhere.
Then I decided to take the steering column off to give me more room to manouvre underneath - that took some doing, it obviously hasn't been off for a good while, but eventually it gave in and I couldn't resist quickly fitting the MPi one in:

I didn't notice it at the time, but in the picture the column looks quite noticeably offset to the left (more so than in a mini) - is this the norm?  In the picture the column isn't clamped up (to the dash rail mount), just positioned on the spline.  I don't fancy forcing the column over - won't that just stress the spline and increase the steering effort/wear?
I also offered up the MPi heater.  There'll be some slight fitting to that too, but it looks much more straight forward.
Finally, I had a further look at fitting the LHF upper damper mount.  Without a pin vice to hand I quickly worked up a blister before conceding that I'll have to remove the servo to get decent access to the area requiring drilling!  Oh well..... onward and upward!

On a plus note, I got the concrete base for my new shed laid yesterday.  Hopefully the shed'll be built by the time I'm next up here.  Then at long last I might be able to clear out the garage and use it as a place for work  

ETA Just had a thought - it's probably me being stupid!  Could it be that the clocks are offset right in the car (compared to a mini).  Guess I could try and mock up a seat position and see if its comfortable.

Last modified March 13th, 2011, 13:05:12 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 61 - 517
Peter Bremner
Posted on: March 13th, 2011, 19:26:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

You could shorten the middle tube and flare the ends with a brake pipe flare kit, the sort Frost sells. Or judicious use of a ball pein hammer....
Or make a new one with 10mm copper pipe,

Last modified March 13th, 2011, 19:27:18 by Peter Bremner
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 62 - 517
Lee Pashley
Posted on: March 13th, 2011, 22:09:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Fitting my wiper linkage was a right pig of a job .My wiper spindle boxes hit the front edge of the dash below the windsceen.I had to cut 2 slots in the front top edge of the dash to get the spindle boxes to fit . I then had to cover the top of the dash in black vinyl to hide the spindle boxes
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 63 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 14th, 2011, 08:08:51 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Hi Lee, that sounds like the exact problem I have!  I take it then, that the holes for the spindles are put in by Heritage?
The dash fabric has already been fitted to my car - looks like I might have to redo that!  And good idea about the longer tube Peter, that might prove useful.  Hopefully the spring drive would be long enough to accomodate it.
I did think if there was a similar mechanism with longer spindles I could mount them below the dash rail and they would still extend far enough for the wipers to mount.
I'll have another look today - I'm off this morning to remove the servo and drill the holes to ffit the damper mount.

Last modified March 14th, 2011, 08:11:27 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 64 - 517
Lee Pashley
Posted on: March 14th, 2011, 16:17:33 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

The holes was marked out buy heritage.The spindles look alot closer on mine than yours ,I had to shorten the center tube by quite a bit.I also had to file down the angled washers to get the nuts on.When I got the windscreen from heritage (10 days before the IVA ,nothing like cutting it fine) found the wiperarms where to short & blades to small.I ended up going around a scrapyard 2 day before the IVA test trying to find some longer wiper arms .I think I used some off a Rover P6 with 13 inch blades.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 65 - 517
Lee Pashley
Posted on: March 14th, 2011, 16:22:13
Attachment: dscf1895.jpg - 92.48 KB (1664 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 66 - 517
Allan Brown
Posted on: March 14th, 2011, 20:48:42 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

You might want to change the angle of the rubber washers around the spindle. As the windscreen is laid back a lot more in the Marcos compared to the Mini. This will increase the pressure of the wipers on the windscreen. The wheel boxes will then be flatter to the fibreglass hopefully giving more clearance of the dash.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 67 - 517
Peter Bremner
Posted on: March 14th, 2011, 21:20:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

That's why I used a Metro set-up with just one, central wiper. It still took a lot of setting up though  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 68 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 24th, 2011, 20:57:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Well, I was all set for a day on the car only to discover this morning, my tools had been nicked from the garage!!!
Angry doesn't come close  >
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 69 - 517
admin
Posted on: March 25th, 2011, 09:23:42 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Sorry to hear that Graham, I know the sickening feeling when you find out. I once had a toolbox stolen out of my Mini Van, but that was a long time ago. I didn't have a garage at the time.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 70 - 517
Simon Robinson
Posted on: March 25th, 2011, 10:34:44 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Yo have my sympathies Graham. Had my flat robbed three years ago (I was at a charity event at the time) and it's a horrible feeling.

D&H Mk IV 8313, KGV 215V (aka George) - 75,000 miles and counting since restoration in 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 71 - 517
Olly Lewis
Posted on: March 25th, 2011, 19:40:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

thieving b!£$%&ds

I had my garage broken into aswell two years ago, they stole my prized snap-on imperial ratcheting spanners, that were new and a blue point 1/4" drive socket set. Was at least £300's worth. Police man said nothing apart from "probably gypsies"!!!!!!!!

arseholes. I feel for you.

Your welcome to my tool set if your near me?

Olly
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 72 - 517
Graham Bichard
Posted on: March 25th, 2011, 20:20:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Cheers Guys - if theres a silver lining to this cloud its the fact that the garage is SO messy at the minute.  When I went through it, I found my box of mini tools (hub/flywheel/ball joint sockets etc), and my torque wrenches were where they were left.  So not too bad really.  And I've got a new socket set out of it.  Oh and more locks on the garage!  When the shed eventually gets built I'll get that alarmed too!
So at least I've been able to do something today - put the RHF top damper mount on:

More phone pics I'm afraid (they're quite handy really )
I would've attacked the wiper mech but (guess what?) need to ask your collective opinion before I attack the fibreglass.
I need to take the dash top out, which means removing the windscreen - is there a special knack to this, or is it just a case of taking the filler strip out and push out (starting in a corner presumably)?  I've got the heated screen to go back in eventually (thanks Roger) but would like to keep this scren intact if possible.  And I'm resigned to the fact that I'll need to cut the material to get at the screws holding the dash top on  .
Anyway, I offered up the wiper mech to the holes in the scuttle with the wheel boxes either way round.  This looks the best way to me:

as opposed to this, which would require a lot more cutting I think:

Does this seem right?  I have found out that the early mini's had smaller wheel boxes - don't think I can wait to find some of them though!
And I did get another job finished today:

It's quite Heath Robinson, but it made us laugh today!

Last modified March 25th, 2011, 20:36:31 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 73 - 517
Peter Bremner
Posted on: March 25th, 2011, 23:18:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hello, no great knack to removing the screen. Mine was in and out like a fiddler's elbow! I just pull out the filler strip, spray some diluted washing up liquid around the edge. Then using a filler strip inserting tool I gently lift the rubber in one corner and push that corner from the inside. Once it starts to come out it's very quick and easy. I expect you can use a screwdriver, the insertion tool has rounder edges.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 74 - 517
Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules