Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  The Twisted state of a Mk4 Marcos...
0 Members Browsing (5 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    The Twisted state of a Mk4 Marcos...  (currently 898 views)
Matthew Payne
Posted on: May 13th, 2010, 21:52:52 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Evening all

I am soon to be ready to paint my car. Give it a month, and fingers crossed, it'll be there...

I had a bit of a fear yesterday while down my pit though. Looking from the rear towards front I notice the left side of the subframe is sitting about 10mm higher than the right. As all the parts bolted to the subframe are new, plus the hi-lo's are set the same, it seemed a bit odd.

Now I realise that (especially) the rear of these cars are noticeably twisted due to there DART origins. Is the front twisted aswell?

After looking through the galleries I have only fount a few pictures of the cars shown from an angle that you can see it... 8020 is the one car that seems to show most twist, in that the front is level, meaning the back is well out. Is the back out to compensate for the front?

Im fairly confident that its not out far enough to be a big concern. Im fairly sure its never been smacked or repaired (at least in my complete strip, I've found no evidence of this...), so all Im asking really is how normal is this?

Thanks

Matthew

P.S. If anyone has pictures showing any out of shape bits, it'd make me feel better!
Logged Offline
Private Message
John Dickens
Posted on: May 14th, 2010, 06:53:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

It's pretty normal.

The original plugs for they body were made by hand and lined up by eye. If you look at the roof line from the rear you'll notice that the O/S slopes down more than the N/S too.

The best solution is to ignore the body and make sure that the subframes and wheels are in line with each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Graham Bichard
Posted on: May 14th, 2010, 08:38:46 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Glad to hear you're getting on Matt - any chance of a pic of the prepped shell?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
Matthew Payne
Posted on: December 16th, 2011, 21:58:13 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

After driving my car, the whole twisted thing is back to worry me. The drive was quite scary - but could be down to it being thrown together in my shed with no alignment checks.

Anyway, I have been trawling through all pictures of Marcos' (esp DH Mk4's) that are taken in front of the car. All of the cars are equally twisted,  but its seems that in most cases the sump (and therefore the subframe) are level with the road, and the body is then leaning... On mine, the car seems to sit quite square, but the sump (and subframe) is lower on the nearside! It isn't much but I am worried about it - Do I use the high-los to adjust for this? Does everybody else's naturally sit level(ish)?

I am sorting the alignments next Tuesday, but wanted to get it level first.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
Neil KilBane
Posted on: December 16th, 2011, 22:47:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Do you have spacers between the rear of the front subframe and the body ?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
admin
Posted on: December 16th, 2011, 23:16:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

I don't think the spacers over the tails of the subframe will make much difference apart from enabling you to bolt the subframe securely to the floor. The spacers that sit on top of the subframe towers are more significant, assuming you have an early tyoe dry subframe. If the subframe is lower on one side then the suspension must be under suspicion. Are both cones properly seated? Ditto the trumpets in the cones and the knuckle joints in the trumpets? Are the cones matched? Has one of the outer rings split, allowing the cone to compress more easily?
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Matthew Payne
Posted on: December 17th, 2011, 08:39:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Both sides were fitted with the original spacer on the early subframe tower bolts. I didn't find that I needed spacers on the back of the subframe? Fitted nicely there too! Both High-lo's to the same level, and both cones are new (red-spot I think?).

I'll have a good look at the compression of the cones (at least visually) today
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Neil KilBane
Posted on: December 17th, 2011, 10:20:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

If the cones are new than it will take a bit of time for them to settle.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
Matthew Payne
Posted on: December 18th, 2011, 12:16:57 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Quoted Text
If the cones are new than it will take a bit of time for them to settle.

You might be right. I had planned to go out and swap the cones and adjusters side to side to make sure of everything. Went out with a tape measure just to work out how far it was out, only to find it isn't! Looks like diving it may have jiggled the suspension into place! Just need to pop the front back up a smidge to compensate for this drop/settlement!

Thank you all for your help.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules