Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Marcos MK4
0 Members Browsing (39 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Marcos MK4  (currently 723 views)
James_Beeton
Posted on: May 18th, 2013, 19:57:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

As a new club member I look forward to meeting up with some other fellow members.
I have just bought a Marcos MK1V! I have owned Minis for years and currently have two Coopers, but for some time I have been thinking of getting a totally different "Mini" car, so, finally I am now the proud(mad?) owner of Car Number 8010 . Collected it today with a 300m round trip with the help of Lantern Recovery Services (big thanks to Nick) .The car is road legal so plan A is to check it all over asap and get it out to a few local shows for fun, and hopefully the show at Newark in June!The car needs some TLC and interior trimming , but all in good time, I need to see a few examples of the car to work out a Plan B for it ....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Craig Smith
Posted on: May 21st, 2013, 21:46:10 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Plan B has got to be, two cams, 16 valves, 5 forward gears and fuel injection..

Just saying  

Oh, and welcome along aboard, you've many hours of fun ahead!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
Brian
Posted on: May 22nd, 2013, 00:35:18 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Congrats, but...where are the pics?!

I see these, I think from the ebay listing? http://minimarcos.org.uk/memcars/8010/index.html

But maybe you have others to add...

Last modified May 22nd, 2013, 02:32:02 by Brian
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
James_Beeton
Posted on: May 22nd, 2013, 08:38:28 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi , will post some piccies when I take some more!! The Plan B sounds like a good idea but beyong my ability and funds  I am hoping to have car out at Enfield Pageant this weekend, and have enrolled in a Yoga crash course so I can bend myself into it First thing I really need to do is to sort out the windows and door linings , and I would like to get a cage fitted, although this looks tricky and would I guess need to be custom made..  thanks for the replies, hope to meet some of the club members over summer...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
Brian
Posted on: May 22nd, 2013, 16:51:46 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

For cages, I have heard of two places that make them: rollcentre and caged. As I understand it, the marcos heritage garage currently uses caged to make the cages for newly made Marcoses. The few people I had heard of having cages seem to have used rollcentre.

I believe both provide the pre bent tubes which you can have welded or bolted in.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
Craig Smith
Posted on: May 22nd, 2013, 22:27:00 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Plan B might be a lot cheaper than you think;  A-Series is not the only option

I have a Nissan CG13DE in mine (although not yet running, it all fits), and a complete donor car with everything you need will be substantially less than even a mildly tuned 1275.

My only comment on skills will be that if I can do it, anybody can!

Anyway, best of luck whichever approach you choose, the great thing about MM is that no two are ever the same - now where are those photos?!?!?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
James_Beeton
Posted on: May 22nd, 2013, 22:54:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi, thanks for the encouragement, this is exactly why I decided to go for a mini based car that was definately not a Mini, but historically was allied to this great car, they can all be different and individual and that is totally ok!!! but I still own two lovely Minis of which one is my partners daily car, so I am used to main maintainance!! - of a sort!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
Graham Bichard
Posted on: May 23rd, 2013, 10:09:31 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Craig - you need to set up a thread of your own.  I'd like to see your solution with the Nissan unit (loosely based on the A series if I remember correctly) as I'll have two subframes to bastardise when my cars eventually on the road (already thinking of the next project  ).

James - good luck with the renovation.  Pictures required!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Stuart
Posted on: May 23rd, 2013, 11:34:56 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Graham Bichard, posted May 23rd, 2013, 10:09:31 at here
Craig - you need to set up a thread of your own.  I'd like to see your solution with the Nissan unit (loosely based on the A series if I remember correctly) as I'll have two subframes to bastardise when my cars eventually on the road (already thinking of the next project  ).

James - good luck with the renovation.  Pictures required!

Craig's thread is here http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/c.....=39,highlight=#num39

I think it was was the cc's that were the same, 998 and 1275

Last modified May 23rd, 2013, 11:35:27 by Stuart
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
Graham Bichard
Posted on: May 28th, 2013, 11:29:14 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Quoted from Stuart, posted May 23rd, 2013, 11:34:56 at here

Craig's thread is here http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/c.....=39,highlight=#num39

I think it was was the cc's that were the same, 998 and 1275

Show's how much I'm (not) online at the minute to miss this!  I often thought the Nissan unit would be a good replacement - as mentioned all alloy, 16v heads, 5 speed box.  I remember an article on CCC covering it.
It's a little bit more than the capacities that were shared, but the Nissan unit was very much a development (my current boss was involved with the set up of the Sunderland plant and held some other positions within Nissan who confirmed my thoughts - based on, but not the same).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules