Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Oil Cooler / Tower Bolts
0 Members Browsing (38 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Oil Cooler / Tower Bolts  (currently 1,738 views)
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: May 11th, 2014, 18:14:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi All,
I am trying to think of a suitable place for an oil cooler????  I will be running the Cinq radiator up front, which will use all of the air flow from the 'mouth' in the body; has anyone got any suggestions on a suitable place?  Pictures of any installed would be gratefully received.  

On the off chance, no one would happen to have a pair of old, useable tower bolts they would be interested in parting with for the right price would they?  I need two to 'mock up' my sub frame whilst I finish repairing the bodywork on the front of my car.....

Thanks again for any support,
Andy
Logged Offline
Private Message
John Dickens
Posted on: May 11th, 2014, 20:23:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

On my GTM Coupe I used a Laminova oil/water intercooler which requires no external airflow. It uses the water in the engine cooling system to cool the oil too.

Last modified May 11th, 2014, 20:25:35 by John Dickens
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
Joost van Dien
Posted on: May 13th, 2014, 18:08:56 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Drive it as much as possible!

Hi,

I mounted the oil cooler in the engine bay itself. This will only work properly with a short bonnet though. The hose is not running over the front plate, it is running behind the radiator :p .

I have a rusty but original set of bolts you can borrow. But I used new bolts with the same thread.

Cheers, Joost

Last modified May 13th, 2014, 18:12:09 by Joost van Dien
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 2 - 13
Brian
Posted on: May 13th, 2014, 21:17:28 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hmm, I had been pondering what to do for an oil cooler. The oil/water cooler seems to remove the need for an oilstat on the oil lines, since the water system will be thermostatically controlled.

My previous plan was to mount an oil cooler right behind the water radiator in the nose area.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
John Dickens
Posted on: May 13th, 2014, 21:24:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Yes there is no need for an oil thermostat.

The oil temperature is controlled by the water temperature.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
Brian
Posted on: May 14th, 2014, 07:54:31 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Been looking into the oil/water cooler after John's post today, and I think that's the way I'm going to go. I think it will keep my engine bay a bit cleaner and simpler than cooler+stat.

What's the feeling on risk of leakage between the cores?

Did you need to do any occasion the bypass restriction on them (I assume that the mini flows enough water that it's okay to run the cooler unrestricted).

Last modified May 14th, 2014, 17:24:07 by Brian
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
John Dickens
Posted on: May 14th, 2014, 08:19:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

As you can see I was using the Allegro type thermostat housing which uses the larger 15mm bypass hose and  I had no restriction of any kind in the flow to the cooler.

The cooler is made by Mocal and I guess you've got to trust that they know what they are doing when they build these things. I've never heard of one failing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
Nigel_Holmes
Posted on: May 14th, 2014, 20:17:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Brian - might be worth checking out the oil/water heat exchanger 'sandwich plate' which was fitted to the MG Metro as a compact option. This slotted between the oil filter housing and the oil filter.

The big advantage of this set-up is you don't need additional pipework for the oil, you just need to take water there and back.

The only downside is that I think the clearance between this set-up and the mini front subframe is marginal.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
John Dickens
Posted on: May 14th, 2014, 20:43:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

It worked in the same way but the area available for heat transfer was much less so it was not so effective as the laminova unit.

The laminova cooler I used turned my GTM Coupe from a car which could overheat the oil enough to have to stop every 30 minutes of motorway driving to one which could run flawlessly at normal temperature all day.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
Brian
Posted on: May 16th, 2014, 20:36:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Sorry to hijack Andy's thread, but I guess it's still relevant .

I've been shopping around, and I've placed an order on one of those mocal 43-90 units. The one US distributor I found for them is out of stock on the push on water connectors that I need, so it'll be a couple weeks before I get the unit. This thing seems to be smaller, less complex, and easier to plumb than a traditional oilstat+oil cooler. It seems that it will put a bit of extra load on the standard radiator, but that's something that's easy to keep an eye on.

I'll evaluate placement when I receive the unit, however I'm tentatively planning to put the unit in the top hose, before the radiator (warmer water, I know, but probably a better temperature to run the oil at, easier to plumb in that location, and less restriction in the bottom hose of the radiator). At 600g weight, I'm hoping that the radiator hose will be able to hold it up, however I will make a bracket if needed.

My engine block has -10AN fittings to go from the block to the oil filter, so I ordered the laminova with -10 fittings for the oil side. My top radiator hose is 1.25" ID, so I ordered the 32mm press on fittings for that side.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: May 19th, 2014, 17:46:41 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi All,
Many thanks again for all of your ideas / advice.  I will be looking into the Laminova mocal unit soon, but all efforts are being put into bodywork and the respray at the moment.  Joost, thanks for the offer of lending me a pair of bolts but I have managed to source an old pair.  
Thanks again,
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
Brian
Posted on: May 19th, 2014, 17:57:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I'll upload some pics when I get my new one . Still a few weeks out, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
Brian
Posted on: June 17th, 2014, 19:52:34 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

My Mocal Laminova cooler just shipped today (part was backordered here, and there's only one retailer in the states that I could find). I should have it in about a week.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
Brian
Posted on: June 25th, 2014, 09:48:41 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Got my cooler today. Looks nice! I knew it wasn't large, but the package at the door seemed impossibly small.

Here are a few pics. This one has some US and Australian cash in it for scale (sorry, didn't have any pounds notes).

It's barely bigger than the radiator hose, this should fit in the engine bay very easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules