Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  A few questions
0 Members Browsing (45 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    A few questions  (currently 5,373 views)
Graham Bichard
Posted on: June 15th, 2014, 07:58:18 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Quoted from mike brown, posted June 8th, 2014, 16:34:40 at here
I'm currently building an ibex to go through IVA and I think you could get a mini marcos through with a little work.
Mike

I hope so!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 60 - 113
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 20th, 2014, 02:39:52
Attachment: mm_1.jpg - 151.02 KB (905 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Hi Alex,
           a couple of pics of the car. I would definitely look for a shell with a rear hatch as others have pointed out it makes it so much easier to do anything around the rear inside. The bodywork on mine is anything but perfect but still took ages as I was young and learning to mould (still lots of room for improvement!) during the (long) rebuild. Trying to get the car into any shape to paint (also done at home) was the hardest part of things. Tackling a big bodywork job just wears you down and I thought about giving up with mine but nobody would of bought it as an empty half done shell. Good luck with the project if it gets going.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 61 - 113
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 20th, 2014, 02:42:06
Attachment: mm_2.jpg - 114.46 KB (903 views)
Medium Member

pic 2

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 62 - 113
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: June 20th, 2014, 13:31:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

What body kit is that?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 63 - 113
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 21st, 2014, 04:30:47 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Sorry Alex - no such thing as a MM body kit!. I moulded the arches and skirt and front end though the front end needs a new mould making and a better front pressed out of it at some point in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 64 - 113
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: June 21st, 2014, 13:07:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Do you still have the original moulds?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 65 - 113
Phil Smethurst
Posted on: June 22nd, 2014, 00:17:04
Attachment: mm_moulding.jpg - 137.30 KB (906 views)
Medium Member

Alex,
      I do still have side skirt and an arch mould but the front end mould was damaged. I am no longer in the UK though! and am based in Australia now and the car is still in storage and hasn't turned a wheel for a couple of years.

once you get a shell use whatever you can to form the shapes you want (foam, wood, filler....anything really) lightly tacked onto the car so you can get them off after then take your moulds off the shapes/buck and then you can press new parts out of your moulds and attach them to the car as part of the shell repair/prep. Have a go at moulding on something smaller first to get some practice.

you'll need some mould wax, pva mould release agent, gel coat and some matting and resin. There are some very good moulders on this forum like Mike Brown and John Dickens and there are probably posts on moulding on the forum so try a search.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 66 - 113
Brian
Posted on: June 23rd, 2014, 19:04:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Alex,

Saw this on the fb marcos group, a project up your alley .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini.....rksid=p2056016.l4276
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 67 - 113
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: June 23rd, 2014, 20:13:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I have looked at that already but the main concern is if it has a logbook and it is a long drive away from me sadly but I will be keeping a watch on it
Alex
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 68 - 113
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: August 4th, 2014, 13:06:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

After a lot more thinking, researching and faffing around I have come up with a colour scheme that I like the look of and think may suit the car. The colour scheme I am going for is similar to the Jensen interceptor of fast and furious 6. Someone has done a photoshop picture for me on a mk6 mini marcos gt.

The Jensen interceptor

Mini marcos gt photoshop; the colour is a bit off but hopefully you will get an idea the wheels haven't been changed.

I have a few concerns with a mk6 shell though after reading a few build logs of mk6s I have noticed that the subframes do not line up with each other and that the wheels stick out, apart from having custom subframes so to speak is there any way of altering the shell of the car?

Also to do the rear end conversion I need to do cut the floor for the rear wheel drive subframe. But the panel is metal. Is there anyway of bonding it to the shell? Or would marcos be able to mount it into place? While building a shell? There is also another conversion panel that would need to be mounted into place on the front bulkhead for the vtec subframe, would this be able to be fibre glassed into place or again would marcos heritage be able to mould it in? I have tried to ring today but sadly couldn't get through.

This is the rear wheel drive conversion panel fitting guide for a mini
http://www.superfastminis.com/Images/AWD%20MODS/AWD%20Panel%20Modifications.pdf

This is the conversion panel instillation guide to have right hand drive for the vtec subframe
http://www.superfastminis.com/.....allation%20Guide.pdf

The engine I am looking at installing into the marcos is a b18c4 or a b series type r both have a similar output in bhp and torque but the b18c4 is easier to get hold of so to speak. I am looking at turboing it as stated earlier in the thread(hopefully) I have started to list the mods on the engine if anyone is interested I will list them.
I am looking at buying john dickens fibreglassing book s well so hopefully I can get a better idea of what I need to do, when fibreglassing.

Regards
Alex

Last modified August 4th, 2014, 13:07:01 by Alex_Rowbottom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 69 - 113
mike brown
Posted on: August 4th, 2014, 17:06:24 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Anything can be done with time and money I doubt Marcos heritage would be interested without huge sums of money and to be honest you would be better off with a second hand shell due to the alterations you want to do. The other thing to bear in mind is technically if you want this road legal it would need an IVA though this is a big grey area. If I'm honest you sound like you need to find someone willing to do the body mods for you and I would recommend a full cage that ties front and rear together ie spaceframing it to a degree.
As to the subrame miss alignment it is possible to re drill and move the rear subframe with a little work but some years ago I did speak to a suspension guy he pointed out miss alignment is no problem provided the wheels are pointing in the correct direction ie all four parallel to the centre line (ignoring toe in/out etc) even if the measurments are different.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 70 - 113
Brian
Posted on: August 4th, 2014, 20:46:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I talked to the heritage folks re: the subframe misalignment, and later did some measurements of my own. With the mk6, they did some work to center it as much as possible.

In fact, though, the whole car is slightly out of square. So, you have a choice of the wheels either all being square, or them all looking even with the bodywork. I take it as just one of the quirks of a hand designed car from before they used computers to do this stuff.

If you contact heritage, it sounded like they might have different floorpan options, but I didn't pursue that. They said the "race version" of the car was lighter than the street version, I'm not sure what the difference was, or if it simply meant that the race version was less likely to have things like carpet and glass installed. I also suspect you might be able to cut a deal with them to get one without a floorpan at all, and then you just set up a tube frame.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 71 - 113
Alex_Rowbottom
Posted on: August 4th, 2014, 21:17:25 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Yeah a secound hand shell may be the way to go to be honest but I would like the mk6 look though. How do you mean it's a big grey area to get it road legal? Yeah I do agree that I need to get someone else to do the body mods but I don't know who would be able to do it. I know that yourself mike are capable but I remember that you said that you had a lot of work at the moment.
I do agree about the cage I was looking at ones that go through the bulkhead and floors so to speak that connect to the shell so for example a 16-20 point cage. I mean for the subframe minitec do custom frames so to speak so if needs be I could ask them to build it slightly different but I'd need to know how much different each side is.

I agree that it could look a bit funny with the wheels looking a bit off or with the body work but I don't want the car to crab so to speak.

I hadn't thought of space framing one but it could be a good idea but then it would  be on a Q plate which isn't what I'd want. I mean ideally I'd like it to be tax exempt but I know I'd struggle to get one like that, unless I can find one that is slightly wrecked maybe.

Alex
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 72 - 113
Brian
Posted on: August 5th, 2014, 02:19:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

A few things:

The mk6 standard car actually looks similar to the other historical MMs. The car you pictured is the "MK6 GT" (which happens to be a design that John D created and sold to the marcos heritage guys). You should be able to fit a GT frontend to pretty much any of the MM cars, and I believe that the heritage folks can sell just the frontend (it's a removable front).

Re: the off-centerness of the car -- mine doesn't look all so bad. There is a bit of a difference in the amount that the tire sticks out from side to side, but you only notice it when you get the tape measure out. My alignment guy didn't seem to have any issues with it, though I haven't put enough miles on it to get any sense of any uneven wear or handling characteristics that may or may not be present.

I'm unfamiliar with your IVA/other registration processes, however my impression is that it would be easier for you to get an old car and modify that rather than going through the IVA for a newly built kit car. If that's the case, and you like the GT frontend, perhaps just get an old car, and replace the nose (with a new one from either a moulding of another one or buy one from heritage spares).

If you are going to talk to heritage, ask them if they can do a floorpan without the spare tire well, since that will make it a bit more work to cut the floor out nicely for a rear engine. Or if doing a space frame, maybe see about getting them to just make the top part of the shell.

As for the dimensions for a modified frame from minitec, the MK4+ is, on paper, the same floorpan as the Mini Van/Traveller, so the floor line part of one of those cars should be pretty close (i'm not sure how that lines up with real life, not sure if anyone has measured it out close). For the MK1-3 MM, you would want the floorpan pattern from a standard mini.

Your earlier post sounded like you had a budget -- nothing about this project sounds like it will yield a low budget vehicle, though I'm sure we've discussed that before .
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 73 - 113
mike brown
Posted on: August 5th, 2014, 05:39:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

A new build needs an IVA and you get an age related plate if you use one donor, all new parts = new plate and random parts = Q plate.
Technically if you cut and modify a chassis/monocque you need and IVA, certain parts = points if there's not enough original part then it's IVA.
Your best bet is read the .gov website re kit cars/radically altered cars then read it again (it's not very clear at all) then read the IVA manual (free to down load)
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 74 - 113
Pages: « 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules