Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Cooling system
0 Members Browsing (61 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Cooling system  (currently 1,595 views)
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: June 24th, 2017, 16:25:43 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi all, literally have about 3 jobs left now and another MM will be on the roads! I have fitted the cinquecento radiator and cooling fan along with a mgb brass expansion tank. Anyone familiar with these expansion tanks will know they have a small capillary pipe inside that goes down into the water level within the tank....meaning you really can't use it to full the cooling system!! So I have sent a long time today with the small pipe off the thermostat housing and a funnel filling the system. I have ran the car for a while on the drive with the expansion cap off and it looked as though it has bled itself with a large number of bubbles coming through.  Soon after turning off though the expansion tank was boiling! Will this be OK if I just put the cap on and try again. Engine temp was fine, not overheating or anything. How does everyone else fill their cooling systems when using the Cinq radiator?? Cheers guys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
John_Campbell
Posted on: June 24th, 2017, 16:35:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Andy,
I've got a Cinque in my 1275 Jem. I used the heater pipe to fill it then the exp tank. If the expansion tank takes the expanded hot water surely it must return it when it cools, mine does. I had bubbling from the thermostat housing hose and assumed it was just air escaping rather than boiling. It may well settle down once run for a while, mine did. The Cinque rad works a treat and I can't even get my fan to come on as it never gets hot enough, even this week with record temps. Good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: June 24th, 2017, 17:44:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Can you roughly remember the capacity? I don't have a heater and think I am around 3.5 litres?
I will keep an eye on it, just worrying on a freshly rebuilt engine when you see boiling in the header!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
David_Farmer
Posted on: June 24th, 2017, 18:21:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

If you had the cap off, then I would expect to see the water boil. Fitting the cap increases the pressure, which means more heat is required to boil the water. With the correct cap fitted, the engine should never produce enough heat to boil the water.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Andy_Bullock
Posted on: June 24th, 2017, 19:27:43 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Thanks David, only reason for running with the cap off was the uncertainty of how much fluid had actually gone in! Cheers, will drop the cap back on!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules