Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  >  new member
Topic Started by:
Chris Jappy
Printable Version

Posted by: Chris Jappy Posted on: May 4th, 2005, 15:28:28

Hi Folks

Im Chris and i have Recently joined the club as i've just acquired a Mini Marcos.

Unfortunately didnt get a huge amount of details or history of the car as the previous owner didnt know much about it having acquired it as a project. Hopefully some of you may help to fill in the blanks!

Its registered in 1964 according to the V5 and has the reg AFG 746B. there is a rather faded Owners club sticker in the window so someone may recognise it. its currently in a rather fetching shade of red primer though it may have been Blue in the past as blue shows through where the primer has been worn through. the chassis number as shown on a plate rivited on to the Doorsill is MA254S273058.

has a 1275 engine fitted believed to be a metro unit which runs but is a bit smoky though this may be due to it sitting for a while (i hope!) and the gear selction is a bit hit and miss.

Plans for it are to get it on the road within the next couple months hopefully and a respray in Bright Orange (possibly Repsol Orange) well a car this different deserves a bright paint job!

anyway attached is a pic of it so enjoy! ive got loads of questions so no doubt you'll be hearing a bit more of me.

edit didnt get the pic to attach for some reason so tried another method.

Posted by: Stuart Posted on: May 4th, 2005, 15:36:30
Reply: 1

A warm welcome to the forum Chris,

Sorry can't help with any history on your car but quite sure someone on here will
be able to help.

A couple of months eh, we all say that!

Stuart..

Just seen the late arrival of picture, what i can tell you is that you have a Mk4
which wouldn't have been made until the 70's

Posted by: admin Posted on: May 4th, 2005, 22:59:20
Reply: 2

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. The only info I have is that the car was previously owned by Scott Paterson in Aberdeen. I haven't got a body number for it but it looks like an early Marcos Ltd. Mark IV (80xx series). The D&H ones usually had black window frames and aluminium trims on the tops of the doors. The registration almost certainly comes from the donor. I'm not sure about the chassis plate but it certainly isn't the original one. There should be a brass plate on the bulkhead, or an anodised aluminium one if it's a D&H car. I'll put the pic on the members' cars page shortly.

Richard

Posted by: Chris Jappy Posted on: May 5th, 2005, 09:42:03
Reply: 3

cheers guys!

I'll have a look at the bulkhead sometime and see if there is a plate there.

Posted by: admin Posted on: May 5th, 2005, 14:28:57
Reply: 4

The photo is now on the Members' Cars section. The red colour used by D&H was Chrysler/Talbot Wardance which is virtually the same as Ford Carnival Red and base orange.

Posted by: Neil KilBane Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 09:37:03
Reply: 5

Hi Chris and welcome to the family.

Love the colour of the car, we used to have an oil tank the same shade.

Interesting wheel arches, I'd suspect the 13" wheels were fitted after 1989, as thats when they started appearing over here, as tyres became available, originally only Pirelli P7F's and Yoko A008's were available in 175/50/13.
The front arch seems to be cut away a lot, are there hi-lo's fitted? Any mods to the front of the car?

Posted by: Chris Jappy Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 10:20:12
Reply: 6

Hi Neil

to my untrained eye it looks like a set of normal mini group2 or group 5 arches that have been fibreglassed onto the car. hence the new arch doesnt follow the full length of the original wheel arch

the rear tyres are actually 215/45/13's and the fronts are 195's

not sure if there are hilos fitted as i have not had a wheel off yet but if not i will be fitting some. the back seems a bit low whilst the front is a bit high.

not much modded at the front. the bonnet is secured by tucking the front corners under a couple stainless brackets so will be changing those for some bonnet pins eventually.

Posted by: Neil KilBane Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 12:45:42
Reply: 7

Thats a hefty amount of rubber for such a small car, should be some fun doing an 11 point turn!! Better than a bullworker for building up those biceps.

Posted by: Stuart Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 14:11:28
Reply: 8

Hi Neil,
I'm thinking of putting some 8inch rims on the front of my car, i was just wondering if it might be a good idea to join the local gym?

Posted by: Neil KilBane Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 16:08:10
Reply: 9

either that or fit power steering.

I know the auto test boys over here, (best in these isles), use modified Nissan Micra power steering in their auto test Minis

Posted by: Stuart Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 16:25:20
Reply: 10

Only joking, but power steering is the way to go, out of a corsa all contained on the column.http://www.16vminiclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/power.JPG

Oh and i'd like to thank you for all the interesting links you've posted, especially
the stunning Japanese cars, if it wasn't for you i might be tempted to say it's a bit boring on here.    ;)

Posted by: Neil KilBane Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 17:49:32
Reply: 11

Stop Stuart, you'll make me blush.

Posted by: Neil KilBane Posted on: August 25th, 2005, 14:41:41
Reply: 12

Hows it comming along Chris?

Posted by: Chris Jappy Posted on: August 27th, 2005, 15:54:47
Reply: 13

very slowly neil. been a bit sidetracked by a 1380 clubby. have made a start on fitting the new cobra classic seats in it but the subframes need a bit of modification to get them low enough that i can fit into it!

picked up a rollcage off ebay as well so will get that in once i get my local show out of the road. im part of the organising committee for it so very busy when im home.

Posted by: Gareth Thomas Posted on: August 31st, 2005, 12:37:49
Reply: 14

hi chris i'm 6'2" and have had to lower my seats as well, i now use a cobra cub seat, same chasis as the classic but is a good 2 inchs lower, still have to open the sun roof to be comfortable though, and no i'm not joking.

hope you have as much fun as i'm having, i have only had my marcos a month but have already clocked up 500 miles and am oping to meet a few of the members soon to get some feedback, ideas and advice.

great fun though,

enjoy

Posted by: admin Posted on: August 31st, 2005, 13:58:33
Reply: 15

Quoted from Gareth Thomas, posted August 31st, 2005, 12:37:49 at here
i'm oping to meet a few of the members soon to get some feedback, ideas and advice.

'op along to Castle Combe on the 24th Sept if you can!

Richard

Posted by: Gareth Thomas Posted on: September 1st, 2005, 06:40:24
Reply: 16

i might very well do that thank you. a mate of mine has just picked up a GTM as well so maybe see us both there.

» Print page generated: March 29th, 2024, 05:51:18 «