Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Specials  >  new book
0 Members Browsing (2 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « 1, 2, 3 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    new book  (currently 1,727 views)
Syd Crawford
Posted on: April 15th, 2009, 04:40:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Got my copy today. Thanks Allan!
Didn't realise my car was in it!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 36
Allan Brown
Posted on: April 16th, 2009, 09:06:24 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Glad it arrived safely Syd. I have just sent another one to Australia.

Garry P&P in the UK is £4.25 for first class or £3.70 for second class.

I will have some copies for sale at Stoneleigh Kit Car show on the 3rd and 4th of May which will save on postage.

Allan
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 36
Rodger Howard
Posted on: April 21st, 2009, 10:01:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Alan the book arrived today thanks very much
Syd would be proud having his car in there....
A fantastic book highly recommend it.
The bulanti looks much better than in real life.. Its currently in a chook shed. Melanie and Roger may remember it when they came out for the commonwealth games. The wonders of photoshop!
Its interesting that the on the australian broadspeed page it points out brian foley in one of the photo's but misses Peter Manton in the same photo. He was Australia's equivalent of John Rhodes!
The author must have travelled a hell of a lot to see and photograph all of the cars.
Do yourself a favour buy it
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 36
Syd Crawford
Posted on: April 21st, 2009, 22:14:53 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Quoted from Rodger Howard, posted April 21st, 2009, 10:01:02 at here

The bulanti looks much better than in real life.

Which reminds me that I should dig out the clip I took of it at an 'Arthurs Seat Hillclimb" last millenium.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 36
Paul Wylde
Posted on: April 23rd, 2009, 18:08:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I think Jeroen Booij the writer of this book as just become a member of this forum ????

http://sites.google.com/site/stimsonminibug/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 36
admin
Posted on: April 24th, 2009, 18:45:58 Quote Report to Moderator

Yes, indeed. By the way, Jeroen did ask me when he took the photos of my car, but that was back in 2004 and I'd completely forgotten about it.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 20 - 36
Tom Springer
Posted on: April 27th, 2009, 02:55:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

A worthwhile wait...my wife ordered me a copy for Christmas!!  I too found myself juggling a mental garage...I could put this car there and that one...
Richard, are the wheels in the photos of your car JAPs?
Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 36
admin
Posted on: April 27th, 2009, 12:41:51 Quote Report to Moderator

No, they're 100+ Octavos which were supplied by D&H with the kit.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 22 - 36
Henko
Posted on: April 27th, 2009, 17:14:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

last saturday in a carbook shop nearby,
jeroen Booij, the author of the book had a sign session,

Rolf and me went there,
Jeroen was very pleasantly surprised we showed up in a pimlico and a marcos...
(we were the only kitcars that showed up)

We have spoken a couple of hours about mini kitcars, so it was a very interesting saturday...

they still have some signed copies...

p.s. I made Jeroen aware of the marcos 50 anniversary and he was interested...
Logged Offline
Private Message ICQ Reply: 23 - 36
J.R.Booij
Posted on: May 6th, 2009, 07:23:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hello all,

with all these comments I thought it'd be about time to join in on the forum.

Richard, thank you for your review. I hope not to have surprised too many many people by having their car featured while not knowing about it. The few persons I haven't met up with to photograph and talk about their cars are the ones in Australia as Craig Watson shot these for me.

Do let me know if you think I missed out on any cars or have any amendments in the texts.
Anyone who has the book will notice there are still a few cars that are complete mysteries to me, featured in the last chapter of the book. However I am pretty certain some of these are still around and I have become addicted to chasing them in the meanwhile...

Jeroen Booij.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 36
admin
Posted on: May 6th, 2009, 10:19:38 Quote Report to Moderator

Hi Jeroen,

I think Allan sold quite a few copies at the Stoneleigh Kit Car Show. Mark Butler bought his copy in the exhibition hall, then found out he could have got it cheaper  from us!

I believe that Bob Stevens still has his Mini Jem Estate though I haven't seen it for a while. It's not the one pictured at the back of the book. I've seen a couple of Phoenix Estates in the last few years, amd also a Minus Maxi.

The yellow Mini Marcos, XAS 779, is a Mk.I. The car depicted on the blue brochure, MAR 969, is a Mk.II. The 1967 Le Mans car is still in Bulawayo as far as we know. I've heard several different reasons why it failed in the race. I thought that the oil pump drive pin sheared though if that happened it could have wrecked the timing gear anyway.

You've found aa few cars that I've never heard of before, but I guess an awful lot of one-offs were made using the Minin power unit. I'll have to add them to the Mini Alternatives list.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 25 - 36
J.R.Booij
Posted on: May 6th, 2009, 10:51:21 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi Richard,

you have most certainly managed to make a very competitive price for thye book - well done.

I think there might be one or two Mini Jem estate cars that have been built as DIY-projects by their owners, but I believe the one that is shown in the book could well be the only factory prototype, built by Fellpoint on a Mk2-base. I am not sure of this though.

Funnily it turned out not too easy to track down a proper Mk1 Mini Marcos. Although quite a few were built, not many of these are in driveable condition these days. I was told XAS 779 was a Mk1, but when I saw it in Japan I was not so sure. Apart from most of the Mk1 features it strangely has the flat floor of the Mk2. That could also be a later modification though. Or perhaps it's a M1 1/2!

About a month ago I received a message from a man who said his brother (!) tracked down the 'missing Le Mans Mini Marcos' in Africa. He wasn't sure whether it was the 1966 or 1967 car, but I reckon it must have been the '67 one in Bulawayo. I never heard a thing of him anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 36
admin
Posted on: May 6th, 2009, 12:23:00 Quote Report to Moderator

Bob's Jem Estate was a technical college project. They grafted a Reliant Rialto (?) back end onto a Mk.2 Jem.

As far as I know all the Mini Marcoses came out of the mould with flat floors. If you wanted the floor dropped that could be done by the factory. This ihas been done in different ways, so some are flat and others wedge shaped.

There have been numerous stories about the 1966 Le Mans Mini Marcos being found in barns. It is highly probably that the car was stripped of useful Mini parts and destroyed. The car in Zimbabwe is the 1967 car which was subsequently raced at Kyalami. Our South African reps have made contact with the owner.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 27 - 36
J.R.Booij
Posted on: May 6th, 2009, 13:30:18 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have just sent you a few pics of the mystery Jem estate.
They are not of the best quality, but even so one of your readers might recognise it...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 36
mike brown
Posted on: May 6th, 2009, 20:34:51 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

i owned this mini jem estate briefly about 8 years ago. i found this car sat looking very sad in a southampton scrap yard and couldn't leave it there so i bought it from them. i was going to cut the back off and reinstate the standard backend but then was led to believe it might be a factory job so decide to sell it to someone willing to rebuild it. i don't remember the chaps name but he was very inthuseastic never heard of the car being put on the road

mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 36
Pages: « 1, 2, 3 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Specials  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules