Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Specials  >  Sabre Sprint
0 Members Browsing (2 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Sabre Sprint  (currently 426 views)
Wil Ker
Posted on: December 29th, 2009, 16:29:25 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Dave Rome posted about this car last year ( http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b=MS,m=1233502916) I bought the car off Dave earlier in the year and have so far got it running, made some changes and now use it daily to get to work and back.

It seems that there is no forum for mini derivatives other than the Marcos.  considereing the number of derivatives maybe there is a place for a specific forum, but this part of the forum seems as good as it gets.

Below are a few photos of it now.  Currently it's a 1275 A+ meto engine, but the log book says 998, so a 998 turbo is the plan.

The other plan is to have it all finished (turbo'd) and ready to go for Classic Le Mans in July.  A few of us are planning a run down in such things as Minis, GTMs, Clan Crusaders and maybe a few other quirky cars.  If any one is interested in joing us let me know.

Logged Offline
Private Message
admin
Posted on: December 29th, 2009, 20:35:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Quoted from Wil Ker, posted December 29th, 2009, 16:29:25 at here
It seems that there is no forum for mini derivatives other than the Marcos.  considereing the number of derivatives maybe there is a place for a specific forum, but this part of the forum seems as good as it gets.

Hi Wil, You're very welcome to join the forum, and the club if you so wish. We have had a Sabre Sprint in the club in the past - as seen in the Mini Alternatives section. The problems of owning a fibreglass, Mini-based kit car are much the same whatever you've got.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Graham Bichard
Posted on: February 24th, 2010, 20:50:48 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Any updates Wil - got the turbo in yet?  Haven't seen any updates here or on turbomini's yet so thought I'd ask.  
Do you think there'll be a problem with heat transfer, it being a fibreglass shell?  Does the Sabre have a weber box fitted already, or are you going to modify?  Are you intending to run a similar spec to the hillclimb car?  Make the Sabre an interesting daily motor!!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
Wil Ker
Posted on: February 25th, 2010, 21:59:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Progressing slowly.  I have most of the parts, just waiting for a manifold and the head to be finished. Should be running with the new engine by the end of March.

Spec is not quite as high as the Hillclimber, aiming for 110 to 120bhp.  The sabre has a webber box but it's not much use for turbo fitment.  The manifold I'm using should position the turbo behind the block without the need to modify the bulkhead.  Not too concerned about the heat, but I'll put some heat protection mat/tape on the bulkhead.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
Graham Bichard
Posted on: February 26th, 2010, 16:44:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Fitting behind the block, is that a mirage manifold then?  Forgive my ignorance - I've never turbo'd an A-series before!  Any chance of a picture of the engine bay (and the space available)?  Given that the Sabre is based on a mini, the space between the block and the bulkhead must be similar to the marcos?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Wil Ker
Posted on: February 27th, 2010, 17:58:27 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I'll get a photo tomorrow, bit dark now. but spact is the same as a mini as far as I can tell.

Yes the Mirage manifold allows fitment without mods to the bulkhead, but it's for T2 fitment and I'm ising an IHI turbo.  A guy on TM is building me a bespoke Mirage-esk manifold.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Wil Ker
Posted on: February 28th, 2010, 14:44:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Photos

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Graham Bichard
Posted on: February 28th, 2010, 16:06:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Hmm, a little tighter in the marcos perhaps:

And definitely less room for I/C and pipework, I think!

Last modified February 28th, 2010, 16:09:14 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
Wil Ker
Posted on: February 28th, 2010, 16:43:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

That does look a bit tighter, you may be able to get a charge cooler in with an extra rad in the space infront of the normal rad, if there is any.

But to get the turbo in you wil more than likely need to do some mods to the bulkhead.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Specials  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules