Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Chit - Chat  >  Fuel Guage to Tank
0 Members Browsing (2 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Fuel Guage to Tank  (currently 1,047 views)
Phil_Huxtable
Posted on: March 13th, 2012, 04:28:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have a Datsun fuel tank sending to a non datsun fuel guage. The guage mostly reads full and even when M/T it reads 3/4 full. Is there a way with resistors or the like, to get the guage to read something like accurate. It is connected in a Jem using an old mini loom. Is it easier to get a compatable 2" round fuel guage. Any suggestions on either question.
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: March 13th, 2012, 08:23:13 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Could you fit a Rheostat in line with the gauge and adjust as needed ?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
John Dickens
Posted on: March 13th, 2012, 09:33:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I found the following information for the magazine.

'Smiths gauges (at least the early ones), Durite gauges and some Ford gauges need a sender which reads around 260 ohms empty and 20 ohms full.

Some VDO gauges and later Smiths units are designed to use a lever arm sender which has  5 - 10 ohms when empty and 180 ohms when full.

Other VDO gauges use a 'dip tube' sender which has a resistance of around 60 - 90 ohms when empty and 0 - 0.5 ohms when full.'

If you can get a multimeter on your sender unit to measure it's full and empty resistance readings you can see if you can get a gauge to match.

Last modified March 13th, 2012, 09:34:51 by John Dickens
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Nigel_Holmes
Posted on: March 13th, 2012, 20:14:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Do you have the Lucas voltage stabiliser fitted? This reduces the voltage slightly and may help to bring the readings into line.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Phil_Huxtable
Posted on: March 22nd, 2012, 05:42:14 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks Guys, I removed sender unit and it is actually a datsun 120Y fuel tank. Tested it and resistance is 10 Ohms Full and 90 Ohms MT. So a VDO guage with that range installed and all OK.
Phil.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Rodger Howard
Posted on: March 26th, 2012, 08:19:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Phil
I don't know of a vdo gauge that is 10-90 ohms and my family have been selling and repairing vdo and smiths gauges for more than 40 years
A shameless plug wwwdothowardinstrumentsdotcomdotau
VDO
0-90 but it would never read empty; not a good idea unless you want to push it home.
10-180 is the most common vdo accessory fuel gauge but it would never read full
73-10; no
0-30 no
240-33 no
Smiths
3-83 or 83-3 Semi conductor gauge (primarily pre sept 1964 except bj8 austin healey)
250-19; bi-metal (primarily post sept 64 although I found one in a 58 bentley continental gt 1958 recently)

It is unlikely you will find an accessory gauge to match the 120y parameters exactly.

We offer the following solutions
1) put a new variable resistor in the sender to suit an accessory gauge such as smith,vdo,autometer, stewart warner etc. We make lots of these.
2) We have made a module to go in line so that you can have any range in and any range out. I did a Mk1 Zephr today with a tubular sender 88-7 ohms matched to 10v bimetal smiths 250-19. You also get to set the mid point .

Regards Rodger
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Phil_Huxtable
Posted on: March 26th, 2012, 22:25:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks Rodger,
You are probably correct about the VDO guage range.It reads just over 3/4 when the tank is 100% full, so that is probably why the vdo guage will only read full on 0 ohms when the 120y sender is 10 ohms resistance full. But if the sender resistance MT is 90 ohms and the vdo range is 90 ohms mt then that end should be OK?
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Rodger Howard
Posted on: March 27th, 2012, 09:16:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Phil,
What I listed above is all empty - full.
The only other VDO gauge and the one you are likely to have is a tubular tank sender gauge where the full point is 0-3ohms and the bottom end can be adjusted by a pot on the side between 60-85 ohms when it is usually used with different lengths of VDO tube sender.
If you really wanted to muck around you could try to make a little bridge on the top end of the sender resistor to bring to top point closer to 0 ohms at the top of the sweep.
In the end you are probably better of to dip a piece of wood than on anything other than a correct match. Note that the curves are not linear.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread New Poll Mini Marcos Forum  >  Chit - Chat  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules