Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Chit - Chat  >  Talk to me about you final drive
0 Members Browsing (4 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Talk to me about you final drive  (currently 833 views)
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 5th, 2013, 14:13:33 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

As I have a Rover Mini Cooper I'm also a member of the Mini Cooper Register.  In this months magazine there's an interesting feature by Billy Dulles on the '66 Le Mans car.  (Perhaps someone at a suitably high level could get in touch with the editor of Cooper World and get a copy for the archives perhaps?).
Anyway, in the article Billy mentions that he supplied a 2.49FD for the French entered car, this being the largest that could fit into the case.  He mentions that he thinks he got this from Jack Knight.
This got me thinking...
I now commute 24,000 miles in my new job, which is averaging about 500 miles a week in my mini (I'm using our other car one day, and will be looking to make more use of my motorbike next summer).  Because I risk catching up with the end of the rush hour traffic of an evening I've slowed down a bit and now sit at 65mph-ish, which equates to 3000rpm in my MPi mini equipped with a 2.76 FD.
I've got a rebuilt gearbox for the MM to which is fitted a 2.9FD.  My thought is, would I be better off fitting the 2.7FD (which I also have) given that ultimately I'll be looking to use the MM instead of the mini as my daily motor?
As an aside, at 65mph-ish (I say that, as I don't slavishly stick to that) I'm getting between 47 and 50 mpg.  Not too shabby, I think.
So - what FD do you have fitted?  How does your car drive over longer distances (I'm after a relaxed cruiser car after all)?  And do you get a decent balance between in-gear acceleration and cruising?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 5th, 2013, 15:06:08 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I've asked this question before:

http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?,b=GB,v=display,m=1294507148,s=7,highlight=final drive#num7

Silly me!!!  (Day dreaming that I'll actually be driving the car one day...... )
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Stuart
Posted on: October 5th, 2013, 17:25:36 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I guess the biggest downside to very high final drive ratios is the big gap between gears and the high first gear.
I ran a 72 hp (MG Metro engine) Midas with a 2.9 for a long time. It did about 42 mpg when driven very hard, would pull 6K in top in favourable conditions.
Now I'm not in so much of a rush I'd certainly consider a 2.76, and I imagine my mpg would be more than 50+ now I've slowed down a lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Graham Bichard
Posted on: October 5th, 2013, 17:42:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Stuart, thats still pretty good going - 6000rpm must be 120mph give or take.
I'm pleasantly suprised at the near 50mpg I get from the mini.  With the MM being lighter and much more aerodynamic 50+ should be achievable.  I can't see me travelling any faster to/from work (I'd still only be caught up in the traffic), but would like to cruise comfortably and quitely.
I suppose this is the crux really, not having driving/been driven in an MM before - how quiet and comfortable are they really?

Perhaps I should put in really short gearing and burn everything away from the lights and get myself a Midas Gold for the longer stuff, eh?  

Last modified October 5th, 2013, 17:42:48 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Stuart
Posted on: October 5th, 2013, 18:03:11 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Yes I was slightly embarrassed to write the top speed   I'm a good bit older and more sensible now.
I've not driven a Midas for over four years now, ill health meant any drive made me really ill, a combination of noise and heavy steering, so I had to get a normal car with light controls and power-steering.

I'm hopeful I can one day make a return to Midas motoring, but it will have to be with narrower tyres and a quite engine with lots of sound proofing.

The Midas Gold (mk3) isn't actually much better than the Mini based version for refinement, and I much prefer driving the Mini based one which is a bit less roomy and similar to a Mini Marcos apart from being a little narrower.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread New Poll Mini Marcos Forum  >  Chit - Chat  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules