Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Chit - Chat  >  My other mechanical hobby !
0 Members Browsing (1 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    My other mechanical hobby !  (currently 1,849 views)
Graham Bichard
Posted on: June 3rd, 2017, 18:28:33 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I realised a few weeks ago that my motorbike would be 20 years old this year.  I've owned this bike from new, it's a fist year Suzuki TL1000S and has covered only 18500miles.
And that I hadn't had it on the road for the past two years.  Now anyone who knows me from a few years ago wouldn't believe this, being a committed biker for years.
Anyway, I got it serviced, taxed and tested and took it out for the first time this morning.

I've had this thing flat out on the autobahn's, done numerous track days on it (last on in 2010 - blimey, that long ago!) including a weekend at the Nurburgring (I've still got the second set of wheels that I used to have slicks on).  I've done a Battlefield tour following the Peninsular War through Spain, Portugal, back through France 10 years ago.
I absolutely love it!  And will hopefully never have to get rid of it.
I had it on the dyno a good few years ago and it gave 116bhp at the wheel, but I must admit on the last track day I did do (at Castle Coombe) it did lose out to the more modern kit (which romped away on the straights and held me up in the corners (less experienced riders)) so would love to have a go on the latest tackle - even the latest Adventure bikes have upwards of 150bhp, the sports kit nearer 200!

Now I've got the 'work/life balance' a bit more sorted in my favour I suspect I might lose a few MM hours over the summer to this.
But when the MM is finished, I promise I'll guide you all on the lovely roads I've (re) discovered today  

So - any love for bikes out there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bent Larsen
Posted on: June 4th, 2017, 07:43:54
Attachment: bmw_1.jpg - 163.63 KB (2238 views)
Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I know what you mean, I bought this one after many years without MC

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
John Dickens
Posted on: June 4th, 2017, 08:15:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Definitely my first love.

For many years out main holiday was touring Europe on the Moto Guzzi California III FF

I am now in the process of tidying up my new toy. A 1974 Honda CB350F. An American import 4 cylinder 350.

We never got these in the UK. We only got the restyled CB400F.

The pipes shown are not original but I have now found and fitted the correct set.

It sounds so good at 10,000rpm with 4 separate pipes that I've taken to riding without earplugs just so that I can listen to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
mike brown
Posted on: June 4th, 2017, 16:34:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

My last bike was an Aprilia caponord which departed just before my eldest was born. Unfortunately I don't have a bike at the moment but I do have a third love which is currently taking most of my spare time and that's land rovers.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Graham Bichard
Posted on: June 10th, 2017, 20:52:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Bent - just the thing for a long high speed blast.  And practise for building a K-head A Series for your car!

John, I was lucky enough to tour around Spain, Portugal and back up through France many years ago with the TL, following the Peninsula War route .  A great trip, with the riders split into groups.  I was in the 'slightly quicker' group which allowed us to explore a slightly longer route - they had some great roads in Spain, and Lisbon is a lovely place!  I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to do that again, but I certainly intend to take the MM on a Euro tour or two.

What LR are you working on?  I've had the privilege of driving quite a few over the years - 101", 1/4 ton lightweights, 90/110, all the way up to the latest Wolf's.
Great fun off-road and reasonably easy to look after.
A lad I used to work with rebuilt a very early Series 1.  He went to a job interview at JLR a while after and took it to the factory.  He came out of the interview to find a crowd around his car in the car park.  He got the job, I seem to remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
mike brown
Posted on: June 11th, 2017, 07:15:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

This is my current build.

But I also have a 90 and 110 both daily transport as well as 3 jem shells on the rebuild list.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Graham Bichard
Posted on: August 28th, 2017, 17:11:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Took a break from the MM today and spent a few hours out and about on the bike, making the most of a dry Bank Holiday.
Had a lovely blast around the Borders - not too much traffic until I came back down the coast this afternoon.
It did give me another few ideas for run outs when the car is on the road though.
Hope you've all n=been able to enjoy the good weather  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
John Dickens
Posted on: August 30th, 2017, 21:59:40 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I've just finished doing a major mechanical overhaul and a repaint on my Honda CB350F. I also managed to get hold of some good pattern exhausts.

The colour is not a Honda colour. It is Rover BRG Metallic. paint Code HFF.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread New Poll Mini Marcos Forum  >  Chit - Chat  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules